Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Day 2 of the 9th new med for my partner

Oh dear @Medusa13 ......

What support have you got to help you manage this situation ? Can you contact 1800Respect to talk things through with a counsellor ? There are going to be decisions you need to make in regard to your own welfare and safety Hon ......

Here to listen. I have recently asked my hubby to settle for “just friends” because there are aspects of lifestyle he has taken on that I just can’t connect with. How stepping back like that would work or not for you is something only you can answer, but counsellors can help us work out a giant muddle like you’re faced with at the moment.

Cyber hugs incoming ......

Hi Medusa,
All of this BS with our partners is really affecting our health and I have gotten to the point that I can't do it anymore. I told my partner this and broke down in front of him and told him that he needed to get professional help and suggested that he admit himself into a clinic as an in patient. He is currently not on any meds but is using pot to self medicate.
He is going to a clinic for a week and will get some advice on medication, group therapy and private counselling. Hopefully he discusses his pot use with them as well.
I have threatened to leave a number of times and have actually stayed away on occasion so I think he knows I am serious.
Even though our partners are ill, we have a responsibilty to look after ourselves (and kids if they are in the picture). Also, they have to want to be helped and take it seriously.
Hope I am not sounding too negative but it sounds like you need to put the hard word on your partner because it sounds like you are being dragged through the mud as have i lately. Sometimes I wonder if they realise they are being manipulative - i get guilted a lot and do feel like I am being played...
Think I have gotten to the end of my tether.. 😩, so I understand completely.

Kataquarius, the amount of times I have broken down and done the same I've lost count of. Depression is one thing, ahedonia another, add pot and your left with a shell. It's an insidious drug that i never imagined would be so harmful and addictive. I absolutely hate it and it's destroying our lives. Depression isn't a choice, pot is. I've tried ultimatums, but the reality is once the dependency sets in it's like a third person that I'm constantly fighting to get ahead of in the queue.
I've had to have strong analgesia tonight because I'm sore from the accident. When the cops came to my house all she did was hid. I've taken her stash and hidden it. In the past she's drugged me (accidentally) with something she'd hid in Different packaging and has asked me to take her weed, put it in my car and when I saw how much was there freaked out. Just under and ounce, hash pipes, the lot. She's left the oven on overnight twice, and drives under the influence. If anyotknows about weed addiction it's me and I'm telling you now, don't think for a second it's any less of a sentence than herion or meth. A true addict will always chose their drug over their lives. I've been chewed up and spat out several times. Despite my partners claim to smoking once a week, I know it's not going to happen. It's just more BS. What's worse is some psychologists will condone its use. So be prepared...
5 days off and she's smoking tonight. Gave me attention and affection under the influence, normally wouldn't. It makes me sick to the core. If this doesn't leave our lives I will be leaving her and I'm looking forward to it. Last night was the last straw for me and she has not even acknowledged how screwed up the sequence of events were and all instigated by the one thing that she will lose me over. I've warned her that if I make the choice to go, that will be it. There will be no return. And this is why I'm still here, because it will be final and she will have lost someone including our kids that she will always regret losing. I know that once I go, it's a boundary and there won't be any return so I need to be certain that I won't remit the consequence. I'm also aware this is probably the thing she needs to wake her up. I have considered leaving to start that process and have even been advised to, but I can't bluff her, that would be going against my values.
I'm looking forward to the day I'm free, wether it's with or without her and the relief that will come with it.

I'm here to talk but I am very bitter and resentful at the moment. Every situation is different and I sincerely hope yours doesn't unfold in the same way I can see mine is going to. I regularly speak to drug counsellors and there is a percentage of users that stop and save their families. Something that a counsellor said that I spoke to today really stuck; Addicts can and do change, but it's not ever going to be on your clock. Attempting to control the use will only exhaust you.
And that's where I'm at. Exhausted, emotionally shattered, confused, resentful, angry, bitter and empty.

Today is day 13 of meds. I haven't voiced this yet to anyone else and I'm unsure if I'm ready to do this, but I've been thinking of seeing through the meds until they reach their therapeutic dose (which won't be for another 6 weeks, then giving that dose 6 months for the full effect. So I'm considering a time frame boundary. And if their aren't changes by then, leaving. That's just under a year, so effectively by this time next year I will be free, together or not from the two controlling insidious beasts that have destroyed my partner and consequently our beautiful life we had together. We were living the dream and the grief in losing that is immeasurable.

Love and hugs x

Hi @Medusa13

KobeCat here, the overnight moderator .... Thanks heaps.  I hope things improve for you in 2018.

Kind regards, 

Kobe

Hi Medusa,

Sounds like you are really going through a rough time - I hope that you are not in too much pain (emotional and physical). How old are your kids? I have a little boy who is turning 3 soon and he is becoming more and more aware of things around him - my partners behaviour and the arguments resulting from it are going to be damaging for him. I think about this all of the time. 

You sound like you are extremely patient. Close friends that I speak to about the situation say that I am also, and that I shouldnt be putting up with any of it. It is hard however to leave the person that you love, when they are not well. It's a very hard spot to be in. 

Everybody tells me that I have to look after myself and my son, so that's what I plan on doing. We have basically broken up as a couple but are still living together until my partner gets his job sorted. We have both checked out of the relationship and its really a matter of convenience at the moment. In the meantime things are really difficult and there are days that I just want to leave!

\Hope you are on the mend soon..

Take care and hugs back x

Hi Medusa,

Hope things are a bit better for you today - thinking of you x

@Medusa13

Topic Tuesday tonight 7pm AESDT Carer burnout

Hello @Medusa13, @Kataquarius 

@Medusa13, soooo sorry i did not get your message HeartHeart

Remember to put a @ in front of someone`s name and then thy will recieve the message

The Topic Tuesday tonight 7pm AESDT Carer burnout which was on last night , you can still read all the comments

Sorry for the delayed response and thank you.
I'm actually doing much better of late. I've made some clear boundaries and have done a lot of self care in the last couple of weeks. I feel ok. Still very stressed, but ok.
My partner doesn't do this intentionally, I think that is why I've stayed, I can see it's unintentional and she has admitted it's manipulative, but feels very out of control.
I'm back to myself and coming from a place of compassion for her and ALSO myself EQUALLY! It's the biggest downfall of my carer role, I forget about me.. it's hard to be selfish when you see someone suffering. But I'm not doing anyone any favours by sinking my own ship!
I hope one day things get better for all of us and easier and I can help others going through what I have in turn. 🙏

How are things with you?

@Kataquarius my last message was for you (forgot to tag)
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance