Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Forwhatitsworth
New Contributor

Effects of Carers not receiving the Coronavirus Supplement Payment

I was wondering if anyone else was feeling the same way. 
I'm feeling very unappreciated and undervalued atm. Due to the non granting of the Coronavirus Supplement Payment to carers I now find myself questioning both the government's and society in general views on the value of the carers role.
From 27th of April those on a carers role will find themselves around $150 worse off than those on unemployment Austudy and even youth allowance payments.  This is despite having to fulfill the caring requirements needed to grant those loved ones needs. In my case it is a 24/7 role.  Sometimes I'm actually questioning myself and feeling that the government is actually taking advantage of me by continuing the role I'm also feeling discriminated against by the government's decision as we as carers have very similar Centrelink working eligibility rules as those who were granted the Supplement payment.  
Delivering the carers role properly is hard enough mentally having given up certain freedoms and dealing with the isolation without now having to feel undervalued by society. Luckily i know that mum really appreciates the care that I give and the fact that I can grant her wish of remaining in her own home.  But the mere presence of these negative feelings is making a difficult role more difficult. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Effects of Carers not receiving the Coronavirus Supplement Payment

Totally agree with all your concerns.

It feels like carers are a forgotten part of the landscape which is sad.

It feels like to me that since electing to leave the workforce to be a fulltime carer and get carer payment that those in charge don't seem to realize that people like you and me who did this not knowing how long she has left that I was doing a good thing as mum agrees.

The fact that a clinical trial is so far keeping her alive longer is great for her and me.

In my case giving up a then well paid job was a small price to pay, but missing out on a few years of superannuation that we no longer get nor having to live frugually is a difficult position to deal with.

The supermarkets and chemists etc are raising prices of most items and the supplement would certainly be of great use, those on the other payments you mentioned are not living a stressful life of a carer and most in power really do not care.

I have to continue as those who could help are interstate etc so I'm struggling with much and mentally my anxiety levels increase.

I wish you and others in our situation all the best at this weird world as it is now.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance