Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

coffeegirl
Senior Contributor

ABS releases suicide rates

This week the ABS released its report on 2014 causes of death, where the number of deaths by suicide were highlighted as alarming.

For those interested, you can get some comprehensive data from Mindframe. Here is a direct link

2 REPLIES 2

Re: ABS releases suicide rates

Thank you for posting the link @coffeegirl

Re: ABS releases suicide rates

Moving quickly on issues that are really harmful to our population. is vital. Chroming was a real problem in our community. Our walks to the park with my son where distressing for me as the gardens where littered with empty paint cans. The last straw was seeing a young girl pushing a pram past my house sniffing paint. Being the calm collective person I am, I gathered the cans, searched the shops for the specific brand. I then stood outside the shop in the shopping centre & screamed as loud as I could outside the shop so all could hear, "Lock your paint up the kids here are sniffing this shit, killing there brains so do something about it now." I gave them their cans back.
The next morning I revisited the store, the paint was locked in a glass box.
I said "Thank You" & walked out. Within 2 days it was announced on the news paint tins where to be under lock & key.
My method of delivering my protest to the shoppers of our area was crude, loud, hysterical & thank god they locked the cans up. I know I would have destroyed their shelves if things where not to my liking. I was prepared for battle.
Action takes many forms, as does complacency. Our elderly men where obviously in trouble in 2014, but hey its almost 2017. The farmers in Long reach needed help, they need water. The cost of delivering water of fodder was more than our government could handle. Its easier & less dusty to send the families a pension check each wee. But opps they have over paid some people 7 years ago so now will send them a demand letter two weeks before Christmas.
Mental Health of this nation will improve when the ranks within it put their shoulders to the doors & say "Its not working, we demand better". The government works for the people [supposedly] and the people must demand more. Sharing, respect & human compassion for the population will improve when hands are offered to those who need it, in a form that is relevent to their needs. Anti depressants delivered to Longreach must have been cheaper than water & fodder.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance