Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Men's Mental Health and Peer Support // Tues 9th March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Question 4: How is the Banksia Project different from other services?

Our services provide an open, judgement-free, safe environment for men to come together as often as they need to face life’s challenges. We work in the early intervention stage of mental health, so this means we can work together with men on anything they may face on a day to day basis. 

We also ensure our programs are delivered by local community members. When we launch our programs in new communities (ie. Rural locations), we aren't looking to just 'provide a service'. We're looking to train the community members and guide them so that they can support each other. This really contributes to our peer-led, peer-run model. It is relevant, sensitive and appropriate!

Re: Topic Tuesday // Men's Mental Health and Peer Support // Tues 9th March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

@Rosie93yes I always thought he suffered from bipolar II and it is horrible watching it play out from the other side of the world.

Hi @greenpea 

Just letting you know that on the 23rd of March we'll be having a Topic Tuesday on Bipolar with Bipolar Australia. Thought you might be interested. Smiley Happy

Rosie93

@BanksiaProject wrote:

We also ensure our programs are delivered by local community members. When we launch our programs in new communities (ie. Rural locations), we aren't looking to just 'provide a service'. We're looking to train the community members and guide them so that they can support each other. This really contributes to our peer-led, peer-run model. It is relevant, sensitive and appropriate!

This community focus is so so vital, and I love that The Banksia Project is thinking about empowering local communities, which are foundational to mental health and wellbeing

Question 6 (Our last question for the night): For those supporting men in their lives who are struggling, what are your top three tips?

I invite everyone following along to share your top three tips too!

@Rosie93 @TheVorticon @BanksiaProject @outlander @greenpea @TAB 

Helllo @BanksiaProject@Daisydreamer@Rosie93  sorry i am late 

Thanks for the tag @outlander Smiley Very Happy

Ok . Lots of keywords there. I am ex ADF got my silly john howard medal worked in in iron foundries fish packing sheds as as a brickies labourer did adult apprenticeship As Boilermaker snd am still worlking as that at age 58..did BA hons a few years after not that any of that can get me a roof over my head with any affordability or certainty. FiX Society any MH problems prob disappear . Too hard? Probably. People need to know their place in new semi police yet corrupt state with rapists in Government etc re private school ties and lifestyles that lead to hollow cheeks blotchy red sick looking faces oh Hi Christian Porter

Some of the things I have found helpful for supporting the important men in my life include:

1. When I am going to raise your concerns with the men I love, I have a think about where and when I will raise concerns that will make them feel comfortable. Sometimes it takes a few goes, and that’s okay. Doing an activity while we chat has been really helpful. Just letting them know I care and I am there when they are ready to reach out.
  2. It can be helpful to share something from your experience first to build a sense of safety and trust. I've found this helpful to break down the stress of sharing 
  3. Encourage the things they do to maintain their wellbeing- I try to encourage all the things I know they enjoy that support their wellbeing eg: my partner loves golf and it is his "me time"

For those supporting men in their lives who are struggling, what are your top three tips?

I think the individuals who support men who may be struggling are the most important part of keeping men healthy and well. Be it nature or nurture, Australian men aren’t good at asking for or seeking help. It is therefore vital that we have the skills to support those around us:

• Know when to check-in; we need to know when those around us are struggling and know how to safely ‘lean in’ and offer support. We don't need to solve, just be there, sit alongside and be there to support.
  • Ask them how you can help them – often we act based on what is most comfortable for us as a support person (this can often result in withdrawal as we don't know how to best help - let's be honest, it can be overwhelming). We can be much more effective if we simply ask them how we can best help and focus on that!
  • Get them the appropriate support they need. We cannot be their saviour. As a friend, family member etc, the best thing we can do to support is to get them the appropriate help they need. Our Growth Rooms can be a great start for support. If you or someone you know may be interested in attending, please do head to our website and enquire at the "Growth Rooms" tab: https://thebanksiaproject.org.au/ 

Welcome @Shaz51, you are more than welcome to read back through the discussion 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance