Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday//How can I be mindful when I have a mindFULL//Tues. 20 March. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

It was helpful to read @Phoenix_Rising that riding the big waves is a practice thing. I guess there can’t be perfection in riding a wave either. 

Re: Topic Tuesday//How can I be mindful when I have a mindFULL//Tues. 20 March. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

I think we somewhat hit the same point here @Phoenix_Rising! It is definitely not easy. Like a lot of things that sound simple - they can in action be hard. It will not always look graceful or provide hugely deep change in one go. But like any other habit and way of living, as we slowly keep trying bit by bit and be kind ot ourselves as we go - even when it feels like its 'not working' we can surprise ourselves! That mind and body connection helped even when you may not have realised it. 

Ah, I hear you @Teej now I think I understand where you're coming from. 

Been there, still visit there sometimes when things are very, very bad. Hmmm. 

That's when I have to be really self disciplined and do something like have a shower, have a hot cup of soup/ tea/ whatever, or a cold ice block, something that resets the system from a bit of a shock tactic so to speak. 

I've turned the hose on myself outside to stop the agitation, shakes and need to run. Not really recommended, but it was useful and I got my equilibrium back. 

Eating/ drinking water/ and properly regulating food/ water was vital in that period of time. 

After settling, enjoyable pastimes like watchign something mindless or crocheting something needing attention would work. Rest and reset for a better next day. 

Is this the sort of thing that's valid for how to manage the no good, horrible, very bad days? 

@soul like you said - it is crisis times where this can be the hardest to connect with mindfulness. Hopefully by breaking down these thought processes and expectations tonight it helps in these moments

Yes I agree @soul@Adge. I find that it’s really hard to think mindfully and calm down if I don’t have space and quiet without distractions. 

@soulwrote:

Indeed @Phoenix_Rising and hopefully the more we practise it, the better we become.

So has anyone got any useful techniques to become more mindful during the times when we need it most?

@soul I think the trick is to practice being mindful when things are going ok, and then that super helps to be able to be mindful when things are more difficult. I know that over time, the size of the waves I can successfully ride has increased. For example, I know that twenty years ago, I could not have kept myself alive in the situation that I am managing to keep myself alive in now. Practice makes perfect better. Smiley Happy

I haven’t read everyone’s comments- but will definitely come back to them. I’ve been familiar with the concepts of mindfulness for a while now but have only recently tried to start practicing it regularly (because it did feel very difficult with a full mind). I do think it’s a very hard thing to do when my mind is full as it easily wonders back to what I was thinking about/worrying about. But I just keep reminding myself that it’s ok for it to wonder and I try to use whatever the mindfulness technique I’m using as an anchor. It will keep wondering but I feel the more I do it the better I get at it. I’ve also found it most beneficial when i first start to feel myself get anxious/panicky (though I’m still getting used to recognising when I’m getting anxious), as it is easier to be mindful at this point rather than when I get into a full blown panic. I’m also trying to use it as a preventative strategy for when I’m feeling okay - to keep me grounded and so far I’m finding it useful 😊

it is crisis times where this can be the hardest to connect with mindfulness.---- sure is @soul, @Lauz 

@Former-Member you have touched on some great ideas there - sometimes a mindful activity can be something like a cold shower (maybe not via the hose hehe) that can help ground us as we take in that feeling of water on us. 

@Jaz4 - great that you have been reading along. I also like your idea of using this practice as a preventative strategy. Something that when practiced regularly can actually be used during a harder time. 

Yes you described me and my current situation well @Former-Member. I also have adhd (without the h, the daydreamy type) which does not help my cause lots too. I’m forgetful and often all over the place but I guess it’s all behaviours to learn. Thank you for sharing that. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance