Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday / *NOW OPEN* / Caring for someone who struggles with drugs or alcohol

I have recently been referred to Uniting Care Life Assist (in Victoria). They have set me up with a counsellor that they cover the cost of (five sessions). They also have lots of other services they can set carers up with, depending on your needs.

Re: Topic Tuesday / *NOW OPEN* / Caring for someone who struggles with drugs or alcohol

I know of a fantastic organisaiton called Family Drug Support Australia. They are based in Sydney, but have service nation-wide. There phone number is 02 4782 9222 and there website is http://www.fds.org.au/

There is also Al-Anon (for family members of people in alcohol addiction). Phone is (02) 9570 3400 and website is http://www.al-anon.org/australia/

Nar-anon is for family members of people with drug addictions. Email is serenity@naranon.com.au and website is http://www.naranon.com.au/

On a personal note, I went to a Salvation Army rehab in Sydney called William Booth House. Their telephone number is 02 9212 2322. If anyone is not in Sydney, yo can still call them and get linked to the Slavo's Recovery Services, which do amzing things for people with addictions, and also dual diagnosis (addiction + mental health issues)

I hope this helps, and if anyone would like more information , you can call ARAFMI Helplin on 02 9332 0700.

David

Some really great suggestions there - thanks everyone!

David – you have been so insightful tonight. Some of the big things I took away from tonight include –

• keep concentrating on what is happening to the person, rather than what they are doing for example "I noticed you didn't go to work today....do you think your job might be at risk" which then leads to more consrtuctive conversations
  • Relapses are common, but we shouldn’t give up hope – look at it as part of the recovery
  • Boundaries are important – but it’s just as important to work on your boundaries with your loved one so they understand and there are clear expectations

Lastly, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing so much of your story. It’s so inspiring to hear how well you’re doing – and not only that, but all the work you’re doing the help others.

Thankyou.jpg

@Sophie44 @Former-Member @Louise @bigsister @Jengay and everyone else who contributed.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and advice. We are going to close up this session, but if you wish to discuss any of these topics further, I strongly encourage you to start a discussion elsewhere in the Forums to continue the discussion.

Wishing you all the best and please keep visiting the forums - we're always here if you need or wish to give others advice, encouragement and support , or if you just want to vent

There is alos the Australian Drug Information Service which lists a directory of alcohol and drug services throughout Autralis. Yo can find them here = http://www.adin.com.au/help-support-services

Remember everyone....there is hope. I am proof of that. I still have problems, issues, good and bad days, anxieties, depressions, see triggers...I guess it's called life.

But the very fact that I am simply here gives me hope. And I hope that you can see that too.

NO ONE IS ALONE. I know these forums very well, and I can honestly say you all have friends here.

Thanks to everyone for the opporunity to share tonight with you all.

David.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance