Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Wonderwomen1969
New Contributor

schizoaffective disorder or misdiagnosis

Hi there everyone. Hope you are all doing well and surviving this pandemic and other issues. I so desperately need answers to my diagnosis and am wondering whether I have been a misdiagnosis after 34 years. I know I have ADHD but I am not sure of schizoaffective disorder. My MRI and ct scans state no interactional suspicious abnormalities were identified. I don't hear voices and I have never been harm to myself or anyone. All the antipsychotics over the last 7 years have caused debilitating side effects. Only one med  worked but was discontinued. I am on a treatment order and have been for nearly 8 years. My tribunal is today. I am getting sicker and sicker and not because of my symptoms but because of these deadly side effects. I am devastated and I know many of you are in the same boat. Please clarify something with me. Is the amygdala frontal lobe cortex and hippocampus in the brain all affected by all schizoaffective people? My tribunal is today at 3.30pm and I am dealing with a therapist that suffers from Schadenfreude. Help. 

Could you give me google search to clarify this or anyone that is going thru a similar situation. Kind regards

2 REPLIES 2

Re: schizoaffective disorder or misdiagnosis

Hi @Wonderwomen1969,

Welcome to the forums. My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer workers at SANE. We have a lot of lovely and supportive members with a wide range of lived experience. This is a safe and anonymous space to share your thoughts and your journey. 

I wish I had some wise words or wisdom in response to your questions but unfortunately I don't have much experience with what you have discussed. Your story does sound very difficult and challenging and I really do empathise with what you have gone/are going through. 

I am going to tag some of our lovely community guides at the bottom of this message - hopefully they can offer some insight, wisdom and support.  I have also attached this link which discusses some common questions around schizoaffective disorder which maybe helpful https://www.sane.org/information-and-resources/the-sane-blog/mental-illness/common-questions-about-s...

I really hope the tribunal goes well today - a family member of mine was involved in tribunal proceedings so I understand somewhat what you are going through. 

Please let us know how you are going.

Warm Wishes,

FloatingFeather

@Anastasia  @AussieRecharger  @BPDSurvivor  @Faith-and-Hope  @HenryX  @jem80  @Judi9877  @NatureLover  @outlander  @Shaz51  @ShiningStar  @Snowie  @Hams  @wellwellwellnez  @Zoe7  @Aniela  @Boo13  @CrazyChick  @maddison  @pinklollipop15  @Eve7 

Re: schizoaffective disorder or misdiagnosis

heya @Wonderwomen1969, welcome to the forums. I hope we can help you feel welcomed and supported ❤️ 

Thank you for sharing your story, it sounds like you've been managing on quite a journey! For me, it took a really long time to find the medications which work for me and have limited side-effects. It sometimes felt like it wasn't worth it, and I know a lot of forumites have similar stories. 

It sounds like you are looking for answers because your diagnosis and your medications don't quite fit? And maybe your therapist isn't a great fit? I'm so sorry!

I don't know the answer to your question about the brain, but I'm wondering how you've been coping with such challenges over the last few years? Do you have any plans to find a more supportive therapist?

Welcome again,

TuxedoCat

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance