Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Gazelle
Casual Contributor

Schizophrenia and drug withdrawal

My son is a chronic cannibus user, when he attempts to stop using,  he heard voices , and has been diagnosed as schizophrenic... l have had him involuntarily  committed twice before, of which they put him on medication and offer services.  He slipped through the system once again,  and goes off medication,  and is smoking ridiculous amounts on cannibus daily, [edited by moderator]...His dealer has gone on a holiday,  therefore l know he will have a psychotic episode again....He doesn't want to be committed again,  is this something l can help him through without calling the CATT, advise please 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Schizophrenia and drug withdrawal

Hey @Gazelle ,

I'm sorry to hear about your son. 

I'm wondering, does your son want to be supported in terms of stopping his drug use?

It sounds incredibly difficult for you. My brother-in-law was a heavy drug user. He did it to numb the pain after having suffered abuse as a child.

However, later in life, he wanted to get better. He was admitted into rehab, and to cope with the voices, delusions and hallucinations, he was placed on anti-psychotics. He's been told he must take this medication for life now. 

10 years on, he's still clean and still on anti-psychotics. However, this was only possible because he wanted it - he was willing for it. He now has 3 young children and he's a fantastic father and husband.

Hence the question, does your son want things to change? If not, and admission will be to ensure his safety and your safety. Treatment following on is on his terms.

Please hold on there. I hope you can find ways to feel supported yourself. 

I'll also send you an email.

tyme

My son is in complete denial of his addiction,  and l honestly thought that as his supplier gone away for a week,  well he would not be able to get Cannibus and one again become psychotic,,,, but he managed to find another dealer, by hanging around a railway station and asking.... On a side not l wonder if people with addictions , eg drugs and or acholol can get a disability pension,  he has damaged his brain so much, he simply doesn't function like a normal person anymore...

Hey @Gazelle,

It sounds like you are going through a tough time with your son, and you are a caring parent which is heartwarming to hear. You are demonstrating your strength and resilience by sharing you experiences here on the Forums with your peers.

Alcohol and drug addiction is not a qualifying eligibility for the Disability Support Pension, but schizophrenia is if you son has a diagnosis. I experienced psychosis from cannabis and other drugs for many years and eventually was given a diagnosis of schizophrenia because I gave up drugs but continued to experience psychosis for many years. I didn't work for 6 years and used my time to volunteer and study which created a pathway into working in mental health as a peer worker. The DSP can be a life change opportunity if a person is eligible but it's always up to the individual what they do with it.

I'd love to answer any questions you have about the DSP or NDIS and to support you and your son here on the Forums!

Take care

RiverSeal 

Schizophrenia and cannabus can be a terrible combination, especially when young and developing brain with the super potent strains of marijuan available today.

It sounds very familiar to me personally, my thoughts are that it sounds like he is self-medicating.

One good thing by what you've written is that he's honest and not hiding it from you, which would make it much harder to deal with.

I'm sorry I don't have any practical advice, only what you probably already know - try not to let him withdrawal suddenly, also it sounds like he's on medication? You may need to take an active role in handling and dispensing his meds.

Wishing you all the best.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance