Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Joeblue
New Contributor

Need help to cope with my anxiety relapse

Hi there guys. I hope everyone is doing well. 🙂 A little about me, I'm 37 & have suffered with anxiety for about 10 years. I've learned to control it for the most part, some years better than others, with natural supplements & a small dosage of anti-anxiety meds.

Jump cut to present day, I'm having awful anxiety that refuses to let me sleep. I haven't slept well in 4 days, my heart is constantly racing & to make matters worse, I have a trip to NY scheduled in about a week with my family. I hate flying and I just don't know how I will be able to deal. I also was just getting over a bad insomnia bout that lasted almost 2 months, (crazy, I know) was only sleeping maybe 3 days a week. I blamed that on depression.. ironically I wasn't all that anxious during that time, just exhausted & depressed but I know it took a toll on my mental health. I should add that I weened off my meds about 3 months prior. I was only taking a tiny dosage, about 10mg or less, mostly to keep the withdrawal symptoms at bay but I know that might have contributed to my relapse..
I was genuinely feeling great anxiety-wise with just natural supplements..I had been sleeping pretty well for about a month..until last week. The stress of the trip suddenly feels overwhelming & I've gone back to old bad habits of worrying incessantly about my health, especially my heart. I just went to the doctor 2 days ago & got a physical with full blood work & even an EKG. Everything came back normal, blood work was especially ideal. My blood pressure was a bit high but I have severe white coat syndrome & the doctor didn't even mention it so I'm hoping that means I'm ok. But I'm still a nervous wreck. He prescribed new anxiety medication, I will start using it today. Hopefully that helps..
My biggest fear right now is that my anxiety will knock me on my butt as bad as it did the first time. I was bedridden for days the first time I had awful anxiety. Something that makes me feel a little at ease is that, unlike that first time 10 years ago when my anxiety was constant & unrelenting for days, now I have fleeting moments where my anxiety completely vanishes... specifically when I go to Bible study meetings. (I'm studying with Jehovah's witnesses) It's crazy how much an effect growing spiritually can have on the mind..
So I'm just wondering, or more like pleading lol, any tips & comforting words on how to deal with a relapse? I think if I could just string together a few good nights of sleep I should be somewhat ok.. Any ideas of what sleeping aids I can take that are not too harsh and/or techniques I can use to get over anxiety related insomnia?
Thanks to anyone that took the time to read my long thesis, I can be a bit wordy when I'm losing my mind. 🙂 Take care, y'all. x

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Need help to cope with my anxiety relapse

hi @Joeblue and welcome
im sorry you havent had a response yet!
everyone has good and bad days/weeks and its ok to have a relapse.
can i ask what helped you previously? Do you think speaking to a psychologist would be helpful for you?

some people find magnesium (please consult a gp before taking any vitamin) to be helpful in anxiety, sleep and wellbeing. others like to have chamomile tea before bed.
meditation might work for you as well before sleep or even a short session in the morning and a short session in the evening...

@Former-Member @Sans911 @Former-Member @Queenie maybe you guys could offer some suggestions?

@JoeblueHeart

Hi, I have Tagged you to my CT, I hope you come & we can help you there, I believe!

Love & Hugs!

Bella xo  Woman HappyHeart

read:https://www.fromhispresence.com/are-you-depressed-or-anxious-heres-gods-cure-for-anxiety-and-depress...

Start-quoteAnxiety in the heart of man causes depression, but a good word makes it glad” (Proverbs 12:25).

Hi @Joeblue, welcome to the forums. It’s great your reaching out.

The fear of relapse can be very real. I get that a lot myself after two breakdowns. Trouble is - worrying about it can literally make it happen - because it’s our focus.

You sound like you have a very strong mind - evident by how your anxiety is relieved during bible study (centred, focused meditation) and probably pray.

Thanks for for the reminder to pray. Prayer gives me a sense of calm - need to pray more.

Go easy on those anti anxiety barbiturates.. I found they made my anxiety & SI worse long term.

I like that you have explored alternative natural therapies. Do these include exercise workouts, massages and outdoor? Fresh air in s calming atmosphere can be so regenerating.. Do try get as much outdoor sunshine as you can - helps mood and sleep.

In an old phone I have recordings of meditations that are easy to play anywhere, to help me relax.

TEN DEEP BREATHS - they say it’s impossible to be tense when you’re breathing deeply. This never fails me.

Also, do you avoid caffeine? Especially coffee and coke etc? And sugars are bad. Be sensitive to how you feel after eating certain foods and you’ll soon figure out what’s best avoided.

On a spiritual note - remember to bring your  sin to Jesus at the foot of the cross and leave it there - forgiven. He has taken it away for you, all of it.

Rest up now, all will be well 🧠👣

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance