Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Carri77
New Contributor

Disorganized speech

I'm new here. I've had a problem for the past 5 or so years..ever since i was in psychosis. I have really bad disorganized speech it's like i know what I'm meaning to say but it comes out all messed up and not making any sense and i have problems pronouncing words. I get anxious everytime i speak. I just recently told my dr about the psychosis since i didn't seek any help. I also have alot of times concentrating. Anyone else have this problem? I also have an appointment with my therapist tomorrow and don't know what to say. I've been really depressed lately and have to watch what i say so i don't get put in the hospital.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Disorganized speech

@Carri77 Hi Carri77 and welcome to the forums. You are definately not alone. Before I was on my current medication my speech was very disorganised and my concentration even with medication is kaput. 

Definately be honest with your therapist. You shouldn't end up in hospital for disorganised speech and lack of concentration (I didn't).  

Hi @Carri77, I'd also like to welcome you to the forums. 

I've experienced disorganized speech before I was put on medications. It was like I knew what I wanted to say, but I'd open my mouth and it would come out all wrong or I'd be stuck trying to think of simple words. I'd be left thinking 'what's the word, what's the word?' It made having verbal conversations with me very difficult.

If you are honest with your therapist, it is unlikely they will recommend hospital. If you are at risk of harming yourself or someone else, it is also important to talk to your therapist about it. The hospital is only used as a last resort in most cases. 

Hi @Carri77,

Welcome to the Forums! Smiley Very Happy It is fantastic that you are reaching out here to find out more about other people's experiences with psychosis, concentration and disorganised speech. Ultimately, one of the major benefits of the Forums is relating to other people who share similar experiences to you - you are definitely in the right place for this!

As @greenpea and @Queenie said, disorganised speech can be a symptom that people experiencing psychosis go through. In this light, it is understandable that speech and conversing can be anxiety-provoking - it is undoubtedly difficult and frustrating when you have something to say, but are struggling to get the words out the way you want! As @greenpea and @Queenie said, medications may help with such experiences, but please consult your psychiatrist or GP around this.

Again, as @greenpea and @Queenie said, being open with your psychologist about disorganised speech, concentration issues or even depression are very unlikely to result in hospitalisation. Hospitalisation is often resorted to when there is a fear that you may harm yourself or another. Hopefully, this eases some of the anxiety you are experiencing around being hospitalised. On the flip side, sharing the struggles you are going through with your speech, concentration and low mood may allow the psychologist to have a better understanding of what work needs to be done in order to best help you.

I hope the responses you've gotten so far have been helpful for you. We have a really supportive community here on the Forums, so please feel free to continue to reach out for support and suggestions as needed. Smiley Happy

Kindest,

Amour_Et_Psyché

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance