Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Refusing treatment. How does it make you feel?

@molly26

I am so sorry, I feel that I should say more to you to comfort you.

I can't though, my adult son is refusing treatment and I just can't think any further than that.

It has been and will be very tough for me and my family.  I can only imagine how my son felt, he would not open up.  Maybe he couldn't.  He refused any treatment.  

@mohill  

I have spent the last three years feeling very isolated in trying to help my son, my friends & family were kind of there but I don't think any of them truly believed how bad the depression had become.  My son was good at hiding his depression to the outside world.  I remain with more questions than answers so don't have any great words of wisdom.   Don't be alone like I was seek help and advice, find people who can be there for you and your son.  

I will think of you and your son and hope he will seek treatment.  

Don't forget to take care of you.

hello @molly26 

I am so sorry to hear about your son HeartHeart

Don't be alone like I was seek help and advice, find people who can be there for you and your son.  -- this is good advice @molly26

yes my husband had depression and anxiety all his life and people tell me --" how can he have depreesion because he tells great jokes "

sending you hugs @Former-Member HeartHeart

hello @molly26

it is safe on this site to write about your feelings in your own time, when you are ready.

On this side of the forum there are many carers going through and who have also been through very difficult times.

This does not in any way diminish the extreme pain that you have.

my son does not live with me, he is 37 and has fled the state when his community treatment order came near to expiring. He has recently started contact via mobile, mainly texting. He does not answer if I call him though as he has extreme paranoia.

I can put you in touch with @Owlunar who also has lost a son. You may or may not like to tell each other your stories. @Former-Member has already introduced herself.

I will be away shortly for a couple of months but shall look for your posts when I return.

keep writing even if only to say hello

@molly26

Sorry to read about your suffering. Your son did't reach out, did't take medication, giving in to his mind.

He must have trusted his own mind more than anything else in this world. How do you cope with this?

Do you reach out yourself to cope with the grief? 

I hope you do, and I hope you're using this forum to express the hurt, (the anger perhaps?) you must feeling.

@Eden1919

How are you? Do you feel better now you're off the meds? It is a stinker to live with all the side effects. My son has Paranoid Schizophrenia and has also had times he has stopped his meds.

He has gone back on them since last year, and doesnt feel a lot better. I can see a bit of a difference, he sleeps better at night, but is very groggy during the day. 

Selfcare is very important @Eden1919 and I'm hope your carer(s) understand and support you with your journey.

Heart

@Grasshopper3 Hi I do actually feel a lot better off them than on them so for that reason I am glad I stopped I think it was the right choice for me. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance