Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: How is the system supposed to work for a patient with mental illness?

Thanks. I will look into those links. Getting listed as carer remains to be seen!

@patientpatient it's nice to hear from someone in a similar situation. The duty officer at the health centre told us that if he misses an appointment, they will call and message for a few days and then turn up at the house. Usually my mum gives her number as contact but I changed it to bros number this time around. I'm hoping that getting someone at the door will force him to answer phone calls in order to avoid the house call. It remains to be seen if the nurses actually do that and if bro will also respond.
I do hope you find some accommodation for your son. I haven't looked into that but I suppose it's another journey. What kind of options are out there? I also hope you have some respite in your caring duties.. Being a 24hr carer is tiring.
Also good that you've had support during crisis times. The duty officer told us we can apply for the court to allow the police (I think) to get bro to hospital when he's very ill under 'loss of reputation'. It's nice to know.
Are you able to swap back into the public system?

@Jasminej. Good to hear that you've found a suitable service, and one that follows up on missed appointments. It's taken a while but we now have a very good private psychologist and a good private psychiatrist. Psychologist appointments are bulk billed under a mental health care plan which provides up to 10 appointments per year, and we have paid for extra appointments when necessary. (Initially you get 6 bulk-billed appointments but GP can refer for 4 more). The private psychiatrist also bulk bills which is a bonus. My son has relapsed a few times and I've managed to look after him at home, with help from the private psychs. If hospitalisation was needed, he'd have to go to a public hospital.

Accommodation is fine for now, but I would like to work out what the long term options are. Will post details if I find anything. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance