Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Talking with dr about meds

Hi all
So some who read this post may know from another thread that I went to a dark place a couple of weeks ago and my psych has given me an ultimatum that i either go back on meds or go to the psych hospital
Well i chose meds cant stand hospitals so now i need to discuss with my dr about my meds as it has been a long time since i was on any meds after stopping them some time back
Now my psych had told me to explain the situation, talk about the meds i have been on previously and their side effects and decide the best way to proceed.
Now i am currently on the meds that i stopped taking till this appointment happens.
My psych also said to ask questions but im at a loss as to what questions im suppose to be asking. Does anyone have any idea on what questions im suppose to ask

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Talking with dr about meds

Hi @Former-Member,

Good on you for trying to make the most of your upcoming doctor’s appointment. I think that’s a great proactive stance.

Well, I have some suggestions. They may or may not be appropriate but I’ll share them anyway. Maybe you could ask your doctor questions about the dosage, strategies to ensure you take your meds (e.g. using pill boxes, phone alerts, etc), expected side effects, what to do if there is an adverse reaction to meds, etc.

I hope this gives you some ideas 😊
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Pepperpot

thankyou actually talking about taking meds is new to me usually i discuss what can i do so i dont need them i hate being on meds.

Hi @Former-Member,

No worries at all. Happy to offer suggestions 😊 Yeah, I read about how it wasn’t exactly your first option. Hopefully you transition okay into taking meds.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello @Former-Member go you for looking for ways to climb out into some soft light. 

Your choice between meds and hospital sounds like a reasonable option, even if it's not your most agreeable option. Often the med path does not have to be a very long one, there are more options these days too with lots of things. 

Meds are very low on my list of 'go to's' as well, so I do understand your hesitance from my own point of view. I've had to walk the medicated path at times. 

My suggestion is to talk to your psych about WHY you don't want to take the medication path. WHAT are your reasons (I don't want you to list them here, that's private stuff). 

I will often go through making a list of all the reasons I have for making a decision, one way or the other. 

Maybe make a Pro and Con list for both the taking and not taking of meds. You need to gain as much accurate information as you can from your psych, and other accurate sources, AND your psych needs to gain as much information as they can from you to be able to properly support you. 

It is possible that some of your reasons for not taking meds will be able to be addressed and alleviated by changing the types or dosages of med from what you may have previously experienced. 

I hope this goes very well for you, you're very brave and very wise to be taking this approach. Heart 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance