Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

@Former-Member  sharing the way you do has been a big encouragement for me. Sometimes challenging (in a positive way) but encouraging and much appreciated.

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

I have tried sharing here a couple of times over the last week some of what I am processing but hard to find a balance without going into too much detail or being too negative.  In a bit of a black hole atm. Feeling unwell not helping at all. 

One of my biggest hurdles at the moment is I am really craving some love and affection and it has been made abundantly clear that is never going to happen. I am expected to give a hug for comfort when needed but never more than that and never reciprocated.

Am hearing you @Determined, it is a tough issue. Have you been able to mention this aspect of life to your counselor?  

Not in recent times @Former-Member 

Currently only ongoing counselling support is with gp. Have an app with gp later this week. 

Is it worth asking if GP aware of a therapist who has experience with carers and specifically BPD carers @Determined. They might be happy to do a MH plan if you don't already have one. 

Have had MH plans before @Former-Member so that won't be a problem. Finding a carer specific with understanding of bpd will be the challenge.  Most councillors I have seen while not unhelpful had all thought they can solve all of my issues in 6 visits with some breathing exercises. 

I think I am feeling down moreso than usual as darling has a significant birthday upcoming. I really should do something special for her but can't get motivated or excited to do anything. 

Also it is coming up to 2 year anniversary of in crisis treatment for darling that removed  what little emotional connection we did have.

Feeling your frustration Bro,   I told my counselor straight up that mindfulness/breathing was not for me @Determined   The free Carers Aust counselling helped me understand what proper carer focused counseling entailed and I was very grateful for that service. 

Mr Darcy is waiting to see a new psychologist and I have asked pdoc if any correspondence needs to be entered into so he does not come home with another mindfulness CD to add to the collection he never uses.  I think unless things are actively mentioned that this is the default they go to.

Thinking of you @Determined , how are things going?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance