Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

AloneForever
Casual Contributor

Mental Health -Schizophrenic & Driving

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know those with Schizophrenia do you all drive? Are you  medicated or un-medicated? How is the experience when driving? 

I just got my diagnosis and now stressing and depressed because I searched google about driving and not sure if we will be treated differently and some new rule will restrict us from driving? I mean I drive perfectly fine but it would suck if people like us would get looked down on and they make us not able to drive. If this the case then I should of never of got this diagnosis. 😞

Who ever determines if one is good to drive when you have a medical condition?

thanks

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Mental Health -Schizophrenic & Driving

What makes you think you wouldn’t be able to drive @AloneForever ??

your gp or psychiatrist would be a good point of contact if you think your health would impact on your ability to drive. 

my gp has threatened to take my license off me because part of my eating disorder is not drinking enough, which affects my blood pressure, which could cause me to pass out.

your medication could affected your ability to drive too I guess? 

I suspect the rules vary by state/territory but there are some medical reasons that can limit or suspend one's driving license. The state where I live the license paperwork mentions neurological disorders which I never worried about but I have spoken with others with mental illness who need pdoc to prove their ability to drive. It can be your illness that restricts you or impacts from medication. 

I drive but I tend to avoid it when I am psychotic and or starting new meds

Heya @AloneForever, welcome! Thank you for reaching out for support here, I know it can be daunting to reach out in a new space. I hope you find it a supportive space 😊 

I imagine it must be a bit stressful thinking about any changes that might come from a diagnosis. Especially something like driving! While I don't share a diagnosis with you, I know for me, I've had to be especially careful when I have changes in medication ect. 

And I think @Patchworks is right, maybe check your state driving authority. 

I also wanted to share this Topic Tuesday with you just in case there is anything useful in there for you Topic Tuesday// Living a Meaningful and Fulfilling Life with Schizophrenia// Tues 31st May, 2022 7-8... 

Welcome again ❤️ 

Hi @AloneForever 

I have schizoaffective disorder and my psychiatrist (although I think it just needs to a treating doctor) has to complete a Fitness to Drive Medical Assessment each year for me to keep driving.

And yes, I'm medicated. Driving is not a problem for me, but I rarely go far or at night.

So, yeah- talk to you doctor/s about this process

(I'm in NSW for what it is worth)

@AloneForever   i cant drive anymore because one of my meds gives me shaky hands like a tremor which gets worse when i am anxious....

@Bow

I don’t know cause laws in Australia are always changing and unfair. There are people out there that make it hard for other people with issues. Seen it happen throughout my whole life.

Well I am fine when driving. Would like to hear other people who have Schizophrenia how is there driving and did they doctors mention anything etc.

@greenpea 

Is this Schizophrenia medication or something else?

Who determines if you could drive or not? 

sRe: Mental Health -Schizophrenic & Driving

I did some research online for NSW and the list of medical conditions that impact driving now includes mental health conditions. I read the list at my last license renewal and it didn't say mh or I would have had to tick that box. It had neurological conditions then, and stll now, but i didn't think schizoaffective disorder fit so i have never been assessed for driving fitness and I've had mental illness for 29 years!

Obviously before my next renewal I'll see my dr but for now I  drive so long as I feel safe to, ie not too tired from meds.

Driving is so linked to one's independence 

Re: sRe: Mental Health -Schizophrenic & Driving

@AloneForever in nsw the fitness test covers a full assessment of your mental and physical health and history of illness and hospital visits. It's all online from the service nsw website. It's scary we all are at risk to lose another right, the right to drive

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance