Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

EternalFlame
Senior Contributor

Holy Dooley

So I got sick and tired of my major depression spell and went to the GP to get some advice. After a short discussion, He upped my anti-depressant dose from 50mg to 100mg, explaining that my body had gotten used to the old dose and that's why it wasn't working any more. 

I started taking the stronger dose over the weekend, and by god I feel wierd. About 10 - 15 minutes after I take the tablet, I become suddenly hot, like I've got a fever or a hot flush. I'm finding it hard to concentrate on whatever I'm working on, but at least the depressive feelings are somewhat deminished. 

Yes I know I've only started taking the pills and it's going to take time for my body to re-adjust to the stronger dose. However, there is a thing called Serotonin Syndrome, where you have too much Serotonin in your body, and that can cause a sudden rise in body temperature, among other serious symptoms. 

I'm gonna have to keep my eye on this one. 

5 REPLIES 5
utopia
Senior Contributor

Re: Holy Dooley

If you become concerned with this @EternalFlame - talk to your doctor again. If it's after hours you can phone Nurse On Call.
I wonder if you may be near menopause age - hot flushes.
Maybe the poisons information line may be able to help you and tell you if your dosahe is safe.

Thanks @utopia, I've been taking the new dose for a few days now, so it's probably just my body re-adjusing. But I will be going back to the doctor if my symptoms get any worse. And nope, I'm in my mid 20s, so no menopause for me just yet. Smiley Wink I'm going to try splitting my tablets in half, and take one half in the morning and the other half at night, just to see if that helps relieve my symptoms. 

utopia
Senior Contributor

Well at least we can rule out hot flushes @EternalFlame. Lol. I thought your name might have meant you were like me and struggling with hot flushes. Nope - you're young.
It does take the body time to adjust to new meds. Hopefully things will settle down in the next week or so.

at least we can rule out hot flushes @EternalFlame.as I have Menopause

It does take time for your body to adjust , did the doctor tell you how long it might take xx

Nope, nope, nope, not doing this. Had to go back to 50mg, because of some worrying side affects. I've only been on the stronger dose for just over a week, and apart from the recurring hot flushes, I've had a major case of the runs, as well as having sudden dizzy spells and pins-and-needles in the tips of my fingers on my left hand. Oh fun.

At least I'm feeling a little better now.

So now I'll take the 50mg dose at night, as I'm more likely to take it at a regular time then. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance