Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

MoonGal
Senior Contributor

Everyday is a new day. Being present.

Hello friends, I am in such a good space at the moment, my medication regimen is working and so too is my daily practice of being mindful. I am catching myself when I start ruminating (or OCD'ing) and redirecting my thoughts to the present, or just purposefully starting a job and concentrating on that.

For years I tried to do "mindfulness" and would get whisked away in the torrent of thoughts. Or I would space out and be mindless, not mindful. It was such a hard thing to do and I thought that I would never "get it".

I just wanted to share that with practice and patience one CAN catch the maelstrom and calm the storm. It has changed my moodiness, I notice where I am at. I start each day with a small mantra, sometimes right when I open my eyes, sometimes 20 minutes later and a swirl with memories and trauma revisited - I STOP and say...

May I be calm.

May I be happy.

May I cease suffering.

May I forgive my pain.

So, if you are struggling I wish these things for you too...

May you be calm.
May you be happy.
May you cease suffering.
May you forgive your pain.

yinyang.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Everyday is a new day. Being present.

Thanks so much for sharing @MoonGal.  It gives me encouragement to continue trying to get the hang of the elusive art of mindfulness.  So nice to hear that its had so many positive effects for you.  May they continue.  

Sherry Heart

@MoonGal. Such great news to hear you are going well.
Thank you for sharing your mantra with us and for spreading those good thoughts.
Blessings to you.

Hi @MoonGal,

It is awesome that you are in such a good space at the moment. Some of us have recently been discussing mindfulness here and here. You are extremely welcome to contribute to these discussions - but only if you want to of course.

I find mindfulness super helpful too, but as you say, it takes a lot of practice. It saddens me a little when people say they've tried mindfulness and it didn't work. I think a lot of mental health professionals do a poor job of explaining mindfulness and thus give people the impression it is some sort of quick fix.

Anyway, I am so pleased to hear how well things are going for you right now MoonGal. Smiley Happy

Hi @Former-Member, @utopia and @Phoenix_Rising - thank you for your encouragement. Lovely to hear back from you. And @Phoenix_Rising thank you for showing me the links - I contributed on the one "Seeking Opinions and experiences of mindfulness": here

Of course there is always the danger that my feeling good is a hypo, 🙂 but I am even able to at least ask "Hypo or happy?" and have insight into those states now and I think cumulatively and incrementally the practices I talk about on that other thread have added to my ability to have insight into my mental states too. 

Waves to all of you. 

Hi @MoonGal

So wonderful to read that you are now in a better place. Well done you for not giving up! 

Thank you so much for wishing me freedom from suffering. Such a kind gesture does help. Have a lovely evening ❤️

Thanks for sharing this, @MoonGal , and I hope things continue to be good for you.  Your post gives me hope as I find mindfulness really difficult to practise.  Your mantra sounds gentle and calming. I think the reason I have issues with mindfulness is because my mind is whirring away and I'm thinking that I should be doing mindfulness, so it kind of puts the pressure on me to do it right. You know, shoulda, coulda, oughta etc. which only makes me more anxious and agitated. 

Hoping your medication continues to work well..I've recently had issues with medication, but things are on track and I'm so grateful for that because I was really struggling.

Take care and all the best. Heart

Oh thank you for your good wishes @Former-Member and @NatalieS.

Over on the other thread... I talk about how I struggled with mindfulness and what changed and how I came to this place now, if it helps... long as is my wont.. but there might be bits in that shift perception about what it is and how to do it... Dunno, just sharing in case it helps.

https://mentalas.saneforums.org/t5/Looking-after-ourselves/Seeking-opinions-and-experiences-of-mindfulness/m-p/371827#M16994

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance