Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

BlackRose
Casual Contributor

Organic and Natural therepies

Hello.

I am new to this forum.

Was wandering if anyone could reccomend any natural or organic therepies to help with 

BiPolar Disorder. I feel prescribed medications are no longer suitable for my lifestyle.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Organic and Natural therepies

Hey @BlackRose 

Welcome to the forums! I haven't seen you around before - so I think this is your first post.

We absolutely respect everyone's right to choice of treatment. I just wanted to flag though, any changes to medication (going off them, changes in dosage or taking additional over the counter natural supplements etc) regardless of how small, can have significant impact - it may cause different side affects or changes to your mental health. However, it may have a real positive affect.

Regardless, it's really important to make any additions or changes to medication in consultation with a health care professional.

While you are waiting for people to respond, here to a discussion about vitamin supplements that took place in another part of the forum.

Welcome again!

NikNik

Hello Black Rose.

I have a Bi-polar Affective disorder (1) too.

I like that you "feel," that prescription meds don't suit your lifestyle.

I can't help with alternative therapies.

I can talk about lifestyles though, which, because of my musical interests is the old cliche of S, D, & R n'R.

To live a better life I had to change. I still live that life, and it's actually much more fun all round.

Of course the drugs are prescription.

Please don't dismiss that possibility for you.

Black Rose hmm. That's a name that kind of suggests an 'alternative' lifestyle.

I'd love to know what it is (if that isn't off-topic NikNik?).

I am new to this forum.

Was wandering if anyone could reccomend any natural or organic therepies to help with 

BiPolar Disorder. I feel prescribed medications are no longer suitable for my lifestyle.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

Have you tried researching what's available in peer reviewed academic journals?
I think there is some research showing very positive results in the use of fish oil in psychosis, but early days. Trials have been underway I think at Melb Uni and possibly with young people.
Not sure about bipolar though but there's anecdotal research that discusses food, especially how whole foods impact on moods.
The limitation on neutraceuticals and organic whole foods is they are expensive and not readily available across all of Australia.
I think seretonin helps stabilise mood, and seleniym which us found in Brazil nuts is important..
What we need us access to a great naturopath, and possibly Chinese medicibe , Aryvedic and Aboriginal to discuss healing foods.
All that I do know is St John's Wort should not be taken if you are on antidepressants and that it is important to let your GP know if you are taking fish oil or vitamins or even teas m me Black Kohosh as they can mess up your medications..

Hi Black Rose,

Welcome to the forum!

It's a very good question.

I would say firstly that NikNik is right - caution needs to be applied when adjusting/coming off meds just as starting a new one. I have had really hideous side-effects getting off some meds.

Secondly I would affirm that in my experience it is possible to manage bipolar (type 1) without meds.

Generally I have not have positive results on meds, I seem to react badly to most chemicals that try to tinker with my system (be they hormonal or intended to be helpful to my MH). The best that I can hope for with them is that they do nothing. So my psychiatrist and I have a standing agreement that we do not even discuss meds unless I am unrelentingly suicida1 (which used to happen to me periodically).

What works for me (and may or may not for you) in no particular order:

• everyday rule: do what I need to, and then what I can (accepthing the latter - however much or little it is)
  • weekly 1 hour therapy appointments (MH equivalent of going to the gym) to maintain/improve my MH
  • working on my personal growth
  • regular healthy diet, minmal additives/processed foods
  • lots of quiet time
  • strict management of busyness (as this is one of my triggers for mania and subsequent crash)
  • sunshine/fresh air
  • living in the bush
  • regular daily time in prayer/meditation
  • my faith as a grounding for accepting suffering as part of life, even when I don't understand it
  • routine which supports getting sufficient sleep
  • relaxation massage when I start noticing I am carrying the pain in my body
  • listening to my intuition about what is right for me even when "experts" think it's wrong/crazy, because I am the best expert on me
  • mindfulness practices (when I'm present enough to remember them!)
  • self-insight

I hope some of this might be of help. It's been a long process over many years finding this "recipe", and I add to it as I learn more about myself. I encourage you to find your own, whether meds are a part or not. I found having diagnoses of firstly complex PTSD and then bipolar type 1 were helpful to me (I've had about 6 diagnoses over my 35 years of obvious mental illness); because they enabled me to better understand myself, my history and my needs. What gets me into the most trouble is when I stop listening carefully to those things.

I wish you wellnessSmiley Happy.

Kind regards,

Kristin

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I will definitely try Fish Oil and all your suggestions Kristin.

My Dr actually told me to find someone else for treatment, after 10 years. I was shocked to say the least but felt now was the right time to try something different and have always preferred an organic approach but never felt I had a choice before now.

BlackRose is in reference to a tattoo I have. Its also symbolic of a dark but delicate part of my personality.

Cheers

Hey @BlackRose 

Sorry to hear your Dr asked you to find someone else for treatment.10 years! That's a long time! I imagine you had built trust and rapport with them.

I hope you do continue to see someone. There are Drs who support holistic approaches to health (mental and physical), so working with someone who will support your organic/natual approach may benefit you. They may have some additional suggestions.

NikNik

The simplest most practical thing you can do to improve your mental health is walking. Especially for depression. And you don't need a prescription! 

On that point @chemonro there's a community challenge on exercise & motivation.

You can find it here

It would be fantastic if you all had a look and contributed your thoughts 🙂

Dear Black Rose,

I'm not surprised you were shocked. I'm completely apalled that any doctor would ask you to go elsewhere after such a reasonable request! I think you can be really proud of your response in seeing it as a sign that it is time to move on to somewhere/one who is much more open to holistic and alternative approaches.

The mind and the body are indivisible parts of the whole person, they interact intimately and what affects one affects the other.

The big step here, seems to me, is that you now see you do have a choice, which is wonderful. It is your mental health (not the dr's) after all. So good for you! Take care and be well.

Kind regards,

Kristin

PS I'm not sure I understand about the BR references, but I think you have strength which may have been hitherto unguessed at. 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance