Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: What to do?

Hey @chibam 😊! So good to hear from you. As you have read, I'm really in the doldrums but, after chatting with our fellow forumites, the clouds have lifted a little. I guess everything has just been piling up, one unresolved thing on the next, and it just became more than I could cope with. 

As for the medication, perhaps I'll just take it for a couple of days as I have done on several previous occasions. For me, it seems to just break up the routine of distress, dark thoughts and sleeplessness, and re-sets my compass. I'll see how I feel in a few days.

"It'd be wonderful if it reoriented it's priorities so that it's #1 goal was just to get us all home; to be with our real people". Couldn't agree more, @chibam. Who knows?

Thank you for posting. Sending best wishes and hope you are doing well. 😊 – see, I'm feeling better already. All these emotions are just so exhausting!

No words just love @Historylover 🙏💕

@Historylover that's disappointing about the new kitchen layout. I hope you can find some workarounds.  The lack of bench space is a trial - would it be possible put a rack over the stovetop when you're not cooking?

It will be lovely to have your choice of artwork on the wall. I hope you get to choose the carpet.

Packing and unpacking might have given you the opportunity to assess what you have had stored w away. I'm slowly decluttering or at least that's my intention.

Families can be tricky. I recently had health issues and was pleasantly surprised by the family support from a few of the family.  But there's little or no

ongoing contact. 

I'm thrilled for you that you're thriving on the intellectual challenge of your studies. Perhaps you'll find new friends and colleagues with shared interests. Don't be too worried about that first assignment, it takes a while to get the hang of the expectations and actual mechanics of the assessment tasks, let alone break into your stride with the themes.

I'll tag you into my thread on decluttering and life in general - no pressure - but it would be nice to catch up occasionally. And when (if!) I get started on my kitchen renovation I'll be glad of your experience and expertise. 

Take care @Historylover 

Dimity

Hey @Historylover
I'm sorry to hear you are struggling.
You were helping me the other day
Thank you for that
But I see now you are struggling.
I dunno what to say but wanted to drop I'm

in *

Hi there @Historylover 

I read that you're going through a tough time right now and that's hard. Believe me when I say I can empathise with you as your situation seems somewhat similar to mine right now. What I can say is that this time shall pass and that things do get better even if it doesn't seem like that right now. You just have to believe in yourself and your strengths which you have plenty as I've seen and admired from you being a wonderful and supportive forum member to myself and others here on the forums!

You've mentioned that you are in the middle of adapting to new anti depression medication. Again, that's me right now as well and if I can give you any advice, it's that the meds take time to work their magic. They do work as I know but not just as quickly as I'd like them to. Just keep following your medical teams orders and seek help from them if you need to. If you are in any trouble with the meds, contact your team and tell them as some anti depression meds do have side effects that can be troubling, especially when it comes to mood and behaviour changes whilst adjusting to the new treatment. Just keep on hanging in there. You are a special and caring and valued member and I like your comments on the forums as they are full of great insight and information.

As for assignments, I understand what it's like to have them going to fill in time and to get lost in the information needed for the task at hand. When I've been in lockdown here in Melbourne, Uni assignments were a great way of filling in time and not going out! They kept me busy and I actually enjoyed working on them, even learning more about the topic than I ever thought possible which was an added advantage for me. It's up to you if you want to do another course, but I'm all for education and learning being highly valued so I'm biased there. I also have trouble making friends, especially since my Tafe classes have been on zoom all semester- I've since had to quit my Tafe course as of yesterday due to my mental health causing me issues with completing work - but I'm still continuing with uni as it's all online. I don't have many friends either and that's been hard for me due to Melbourne and lockdowns but I'm hoping to extend my social circle once things open up again by seeing if the local library and community centres have social events coming up. Maybe that's something you'd like to look at as well if that's your thing? 

I wish you all the best and remember to ask for help if you need it. I look forward to seeing you around the forums☺️

Take care and stay safe forumite friend!

Judi9877☺️💐

Hello @AnastasiaSmiley Happy It's hard going sometimes, but I'm still managing to put one foot in front of the other. Many thanks for dropping by in my distress. Take care. Heart

@Dimity– Yes, I could say the kitchen is a disappointment, but it's not mine. It still is a lot better and fresher than the old one – all white, as is the current fashion. Very nice to look at, but functionally not so good. The old one came from  a time when functionality was important. I love the smooth sliding drawers and the slightly raised bench height. And it all looks so clean and new. It's disappointing, but it's still nice. I just wish it was all finished. The stovetop rack is a good suggestion. I already use it to put things on if it's not being used. I've also used open drawers to put my recipe books etc. on. Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say.

Yes, it was nice to go through all of my previously boxed goods. It would all look so much better if the walls weren't patched with plaster in readiness for painting. I've even been tempted to go out and buy paint and paint it myself. I have done quite a bit of de-cluttering too.  

Sorry to hear you recently had some health issues. In that regard, I consider that I am doing quite well. Good that your family were there for you.  

Yes, my studying is going well. I so regret not having taken this path when I was young, but circumstances prevented it. I can certainly do more courses, but I can only take so much solitude. If there is a way out of this situation, I will find it, but I don't think I have missed any possibilities.

It certainly does take a while to gain a clear understanding of what is expected in assignments. I was shocked when my first assignment came back with highlighted mistakes, 'pencilled-in' comments, advice that my sentences were too long, that I had used a hyphen instead of an n- or m-dash... I had never heard of such dashes, but I certainly do now. I'm also gaining more computer skills — equal in extent to those I already had. And still, my usage is only basic.  So, as I said, my head has been in 'information overload' and it was essential for me to take time out. A very, very steep learning curve!! Such amazing pieces of technology we have access to today! I wonder how it will have advanced in another hundred years. 

My inbox only showed one reply, but there are quite a few here. I don't know what is happening there.

Sending best wishes. I hope you are doing well, @Dimity

Thanks for dropping in, @Flying_Hams. It really means a lot when others rally when we need them, doesn't it? I hope you are doing well. Take care.

Thank you for your reply @Judi9877.  It certainly is tough going at the moment, but the support shown me by my fellow forumites has kept me going. I'm only 'going down' because I am so isolated and lonely. I can deal with all problems which come my way, but if we don't have our batteries re-charged by interacting with loved ones and friends, we lose our desire to bother. And that is where I am at the moment. It's a really hard slog. I am always looking for ways to solve my dilemma, but I truly don't think there is one. I'll probably stay on the medication — I just wish it could fix my problems. This anguish is too much to bear otherwise. It's been going on for too long.

I don't have a medical team @Judi9877. Just me. The medication I'm taking is left over from an earlier GP consultation. I know too much about the medical profession to have much faith in them. That is unfortunate because they are the ones we are supposed to be able to turn to, to have faith in. I'm still trying to find one I can work with in the longer term. 

I'm loving my studies at the moment. It is certainly an excellent starting point for further studies, and I'm glad I took this introductory course to familiarize myself with procedures and expectations. Like being taken from a slouch to sitting up straight! "Attention!" Whoa! A rude awakening indeed. But I'm loving it. It's always good to learn that we are more able than we had imagined ourselves to be. And yes, assignments certainly do give us the opportunity to learn about subjects we had never thought about before. It's nice to read that you — and so many others here — also place a high value on education.  

I'll have a look about for activities I can get involved in when lockdown ends. Until then, I have Assignment 3 to prepare.

Sending best wishes. Take care. 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance