Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Payneful
New Contributor

Schizoeffective disorder

Hi my ex was diagnosed with schizoeffective disorder in late twenty's after a few episodes of psychosis, she refuses to accept her diagnosis, which led to a breakdown in our relationship and left me about 8 years ago. She is the primary carer of our children and has her ups and downs but has been getting worse after I was married recently. She refuses any help and won't take medication. she was recently telling lies to the children about their heritage. I don't fear for their safety but I was abused for telling them she was incorrect. I fear she may end up in another episode of psychosis if she continues to refuse help but has pushed me away and will no longer take my advise. Is there any support service out there that can assist me in helping her? I don't know where to start. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Schizoeffective disorder

Hello @Payneful and welcome to the forum Community. 

It's a difficult road and one I'm sorry you have found yourself on. 

I hear you want to support her and that is commendable. Please make sure you support yourself. There are carer website to offer advice and tools. 

Carers Gateway https://www.carergateway.gov.au/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid-search&utm_campaign=10626744435&u...

Lived Experience Australia https://www.livedexperienceaustralia.com.au/

It's very difficult when someone you care about needs help but does not realise this themselves. 

Take care and know that you are definitely not alone. 

Re: Schizoeffective disorder

Love her
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance