Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

JJ4
Casual Contributor

Hello new friends

Hi Everyone,

Just wanting to reach out and say 'hi' because I have only just discovered this wonderful space.

I have been newly diagnosed with BPD and have mixed emotions about it. As a positive, I'm relieved I finally have a 'name' to research my little brain out and have something to identify with and to see that others have lived through this too gives me hope that I will be able to improve my personal life (relationships) and have an improved quality of life. I hadn't realised before that anything was majorly wrong with me but it now makes a lot of sense reading the little I have so far.........

However, I'm a bit shocked that what I have experienced in my life is actually 'a thing'!

I have heard of BPD before and thought that only 'crazy' people are labelled with this. (Clearly a myth!) well, that's unless I'm crazy myself, that is!!!! It's a little (or a lot) scary what others in my life might now think of me, all the stigma that is associated with this 'name/condition/title'..........

Any suggestions for me in this first 24 hours my new friends?

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Hello new friends

@JJ4  Hello and welcome JJ4

we're all mad here - Album on Imgur

too funny :)))

Hi just like to say I am new to this forum and I am going through a few things that I am sure that will help me out with the great thing about this matter 

Hey @JJ4 ,

Welcome to the forums! Everything you have just typed was exactly how I felt when I was first diagnosed with BPD (over 15 years ago). As hard as it can be, I feel so fortunate to be able to go through a BPD journey because it has been a real awakening. I am learning more and more about myself and others each day. 

I live very successfully with BPD as I have learnt to self-manage and safely navigate challenges. Many people think having BPD means you are beyond help. But that's not the case. It is a very slow-moving mental condition which means you cannot make changes using a pill overnight. It requires targeted 'talking therapies'. I benefitted immensely from 18 months of mentalisation-based therapy. It involved an invidual and group session each week. As much as I hesitated the thought of 'group therapy', I took up the challenge and it was a god-send! I learnt so much through group therapy, including the fact that I simply DONT get along with some people!

I don't boast of some of the stupid things I've done in the past, but I am glad I can now look back and see how far I've come.

This will be the same for you too if you can find the support you require.

Also, this week is BPD Awareness week. We will be having Topic Tuesday on BPD. Come and join us for that session. 6th Oct 2020. Topic Tuesday// BPD Awareness– Flipping the script with a special guest from Spectrum// Tues 6th Oct... 

Hope to see you there!

BPDSurvivor

Hi @1965j 

Welcome to the SANE forums! It's great to have you here and I hope you are able to tell the community a bit about yourself when you feel more comfortable.   I'm sure the forum members will be able to offer you support, information and connection.

I'm the moderator on duty right now.   Feel free to ask the SANE forum team or the members if you need help with how to use the forum. You might like to check out the Guidelines as they can be pretty useful in understanding how it all works  https://saneforums.org/t5/help/faqpage#community-guidelines

Take care.

Whitehawk

Good morning @1965j @and @JJ4 ,

How are you both? Just checking in.

BPDSurvivor

Hello @JJ4 , @1965j , @BPDSurvivor , @greenpea 

How are you going today my friends  

Yes very well thanks for asking, how are you?

Thanks so much for your encouraging reply, feeling hopeful 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance