Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Isobel
Casual Contributor

ECT

Hi. I'm new to the forums and thank you all for sharing your stories. I had ECT a few months ago and am now really struggling with anger and extreme anxiety (and memory loss). I have never been an angry person and now feel even more lost. I was prescribed ECT for grief - I lost my partner suddenly, and associated PTSD. (I also have a history of depression). I  have read a number of accounts online from people who have had great results from ECT (which is great) but that has not been my personal experience. I'm wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience? And I guess, if these symptoms lifted? Thank you for reading.

6 REPLIES 6
chibam
Senior Contributor

Re: ECT

Hi @Isobel ! Welcome to the forums!Smiley Very Happy

I have no personal experiance with ECT; I only know what I've read about it from others. All I can say is that you are certainly not alone. I've read testimony from others who have had the treatment and reported bad results.

Could it be worth your while googling support organizations for people who have had poor results from ECT?

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.Smiley Sad

Isobel
Casual Contributor

Thanks so much for replying @chibam , that was very kind of you and I will give that a try.

Hey @Isobel , 

I have never had ECT or much experience, but I have had experience with grief and anger.  

Can I ask why you did the ECT therapy?  Was it because of the pain of the grief and loss of your partner, or did the PTSD exist beforehand?  

Bow
Senior Contributor

@Isobel  I had ECT about 18yrs ago and was used to treat my depression. I had 10 sessions. At the time it did help my depression.But It has affected my memory of around that time and I believe my ability to focus, comprehend and process stuff. This is just my experience, I know that it helps a lot of other people.

Isobel
Casual Contributor

Hey @AussieRecharger 

The PTSD was diagnosed as an effect of the death of my partner.

I was very reluctant to undergo ECT, but I guess, I agreed because I was desperate and thought it might have cauterised at least some of the pain, somehow. For me, (and I understand it's different for everyone), it didn't.
I wish that I had made a different decision, and that I had been far better informed by my Dr's about the risks and repercussions associated with ECT.
I'm sorry that you are going through grief and pain, also.

chibam
Senior Contributor

@Isobel  Unfortunately, being ill-informed about treatments by our therapists/doctors is an all too common occurance.

In my case it was medication (plus a bunch of other treatments that I was pushed towards but didn't actually undertake).

I think you'll find that there are a lot of us here in that boat, of wishing we could go back and make differant decisions about our treatments, having all the relevant information that we have now.

It sucks, doesn't it? Smiley Sad

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance