Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

MrAuDad
New Contributor

Dad for the 2nd time.

Hi everyone

So I'm brand new here and looking for advice. Backstory is im a dad of an amazing 3 yearold with another on the way.

My wife has been really down these past few weeks as she is really worried how she will cope with 2 kids. Where I come in is that I suffer from bad anxiety and when she feels down or low or lost I go into "fixer" mode as I start to feel that I have to fix it and make sure its all better. I come from a very dysfunctional family and I just overthink things until I've made it worse. I'm really worried how we will cope with just the 4 of us when we don't have that many people around us. Sorry for the ramble. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Dad for the 2nd time.

Hi mate see if your wife is willing to chat to someone who can't help her through it. It's hard not having family around I'm in same boat and my partner like you is a fixer. It took me a while but I reached out and I made it through still struggle at times but I have the tools and people to help. I only have one child but he has severe ADHD. Autism and behavioral issues and I also come from a very dysfunctional family so I over think to.

Hi @MrAuDad 

Welcome to the forums. Well done for reaching out.

How you're feeling is completely understandable.

I'm wondering, has your wife seen anyone about how she's feeling? For example your GP? That might be a good place to start. Smiley Happy

Sending strength your way,

Rosie93

Hi,

I've been there before in your wife's shoes. That was 15 years ago. I had full-time help from my own mother. I really appreciated her help physically, but mentally I didn't get the chance to gain confidence that I could manage things on my own. That led to a lot of self-doubt and other mental issues which I'm still dealing with now. Also I received a lot of "unwanted advice" which confused me greatly. So it might be a positive thing that you're handling it all by yourselves.

I have a different set of problems now that my kids are teenagers, haha.

Thank you for your  reply i never looked at it that way before. I think alot of it has to do with my fear and anxiety. When she's upset I'm upset and I get so upset so quickly because I can't solve her problems.

I totally understand. My husband also tries to solve my problems even when I don't think there's a fix to them. Yes he gets upset too and then we both get upset. All I want is for him to "ride it out" with me.

Hi I so hope your ramble help clear the air for you and perhaps give you some perspective. As I read what you have written i can see that your slightly stuck on 'what if' stories. Relax and breathe deeply. You will deal with each situation as it arises. And never forgot the village out your front door.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance