Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Re: Rethinking Human Emotion

@Appleblossom I do particularly lke her approach to identifying emotions when we talk about kids - there is a level to their feelings and identifying that level and where they come from is important. I think as adults we are much more knowledgaable in being able to do that but there is always room for improvement and her approach has relevance here. Distinguishing between our primary and secondary emotions is often much harder - something we try to teach our kids at school so they can work out exactly what they are feeling and why. Often what we are feeling as a result of circumstances is multi-layered and breaking down those layers helps to identify the real cause of our emotions and the primary emotion we are feeling - then we can work on how to work through what is going on for us in a constructive and objective way. This of course is harder to do when we are distressed, depressed or upset but can also be freeing when we can get to the crux of the problem and begin to move forward knowing the real reason we are feeling that way. 

Bit of a ramble there - and probably does not directly relate to the article itself or the what she has written about but has sparked some thought for me and if that has happened as a result of the article then that is also a good thing ...all food for thought.

Re: Rethinking Human Emotion

I love that you care enuff about kids you work with to care about this stuff. @Zoe7 

Heart

I read somewhere (cant remember where now ..lol)  that all psychiatric presentations are due to emotional stuff that was not worked thru in reasonable time, and so it accumulates. 

Smiley Sad

Its not necessarily just doing the work.  Context matters.

That story was told to  my son, (in my presence) at our local high to explain what a hard job the teachers had working thru the range of issues in the school yard.  My son understood the teacher's problems.  Not sure that was his job??

I am going to get to a space and internal place to work thru all my layers ... soon ... one day ...

Love the opening up of the issue rather than closing down in dogmatism.

Thank you forum

Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance