Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Graystar
New Contributor

Research, Surveys, Reports, etc...

Hello,

I am new to the forum, however I have worked in the Alcohol & Other Drugs and Mental Health field for over 12 years now.

I have always been aware of the SANE and iMind sites and have directed many people to them over the years. It has only been recently however that I have had need to delve into their content for my personal and not professional reasons.

A relative has been diagnosed quite late with bi-polar disorder, and it has taken a huge toll on her immediate family to the point where her partner does not know if she can remain in the relationship, and their two teenage children are withdrawing from many activities and social circles at an alarming rate. The family is fractured, and they have turned to me for assistance.

Whilst I am skilled and professional enough to provide them with assistance, I am also mindful that I am not the best person to assist them as I have a personal relationship with them that spans back to childhood. I have referred and done all the necessary follow up to ensure the referrals were taken up appropriately and I guess I now trust other services to work with those whom I love.

What I have noticed however is a distinct lack of literature that speaks about the effectiveness and method of carers that engage in the treatment process of people with Mental Illness.

Is anyone aware of any reports, surveys, reseaerch... anything really... that talks about the benefit or otherwise of carer involvement in treatment? I have stumbled across 'The Wesley Report, Keeping Minds Well: Caring Till It Hurts' which is a very interesting (although slightly alarming) document, and I remember mention of a man named Burgess from my studying days who apparently produced something in 2007 that related to the carer/patient/treatment relationship, but I can find no evidence of anything from Burgess.

Any assistance with this would be of great value. I would like to understand this dynamic of care more.

Thank you for reading.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Research, Surveys, Reports, etc...

I can only say that research tells us that those with mental illness do better with social supports, and social support can act as a preventative to mental health, hence the saying, ' a cuppa with a friend'. Also research states that marriage also aides as a protective factor, particularly for men. However I understand that this is very basic, and that you are looking at this at a deeper level. I think you will find that undoubtedly the answer is yes, carers do assist in the treatment process. Of course there would be exceptions to this, especially if the carer-consumer relationship is a negative dynamic.

Do you have access to databases through your work such as Ebsco host? You may like to look for research papers electronically?

Re: Research, Surveys, Reports, etc...

You might want to contact the he peak body in your state or territory for mental health carers.
In Victoria, this is Tandem
www.tandem.org.au
I am sure they will have resources to refer you to. Also in Victoria is The Bouverie Centre, they have I think, a carer academic.
Nationally I think there's a peak body for mental health consumer and carers but the name of the organisation I can't recall.
I suspect the folks at MI Fellowship would know a lot more as they have been running well ways for carers for years.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance