Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Fredd50
Senior Contributor

Psychologists try to speak out about hegemony

Hi,

This is a summary of a peer reviewed article. The article published in the peer reviewed journal "psychosis" is linked on the page linked below.

It is also an introduction to a site, where the summary was written that was started in homage to the inimitable Robert Whitaker, someone who it was vital for me to find ony recovery journey.

I do not have mental illness. I was forced to say that I did under duress. I know I am not alone.

Speaking out against abuse has been a vital part of my journey.

In this article, psychologists describe how they, too have faced pressure and felt silenced in trying to help in a responsible way.

I hope it will help all those who feel silenced, like I do, to find an avenue towards a truly helpful journey.

We are not alone 🙏

https://www.madinamerica.com/2019/04/psychosocially-oriented-psychologists-struggle-medical-model/

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Psychologists try to speak out about hegemony

Thanks for sharing @Fredd50 and we're sorry to hear that you feel silenced. Have you been researching this as part of your journey for long?  

Re: Psychologists try to speak out about hegemony

Thank you for the link @Fredd50 

I appreciate your point of view and am sure many other readers do too..

I studied psycho-social theory in my mid 20s in my final year. I had been lucky to study from a broad range of subjects, so I can laugh and tell myself it is not an obssession.  As I walked to uni, I chatted to my father over the fence buried at the cemetery.  He had been diagnosed and had an appauling life.  I often looked at life through the lens of pathology, as I spent a lot of time visiting psych hospitals for my family, but later I made a decision to go to psychologists rather than psychiatrists.  It did make a difference to round out my understanding of human development and cultural diversity.

Thx again for posting.Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance