Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Jo
Senior Contributor

Good Book for Carers

I'd like to recommend a great book for carers, written by an English carer. He uses a lot of 'black humour' and is very funny. He is so 'spot on' about what life is like as a carer of a loved family member. It is called 'The Selfish Pig's Guide to Caring' and it was written by Hugh Marriott. Published by Polperro Heritage press.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Good Book for Carers

Hi Jo

I can certainly attest to the benefits of being able to have a laugh at life in the face of great adversity.

Harry

Yes, so can I Harry. The development of a form of 'black humour' is what has kept me sane on many occasions. I think it applies to lots of carers. And I have heard the same said of ambulance paramedics. I believe that if you can't release like this, you can become ill yourself.

I use dark humor it certainly help my sainty if I do. I even do it with my brother. He has sereve mood swings which we are in process of trying to get under control and I call him a moody bitch and thing is he totally agrees with. He gives it to me as good as he gets.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance