Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Maude
Senior Contributor

Finding a psychiatrist in Sydney

I live in Sydney.

I have depression and anxiety.

I've had major depression before so I know what is happening.

I am desperate to find a psychiatrist who will see me as a Medicare (i.e. bulk billed) patient. I've had no luck in finding one.

I keep being told I am asking for something free. Having paid my Medicare levy for the number of years that I have, I do not think I am asking for anything free.

I've tried asking GPs, I've rung all the help lines. I have even rung every psychiatrist in Sydney and the outskirts of Sydney who says on their profile that they accept Medciare patients but none of them actually do.

Please, please, if anyone knows a psychiatrist in Sydney who has an interest in depression and will take a Medicare patinet, I would be sooooooooo grateful.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Finding a psychiatrist in Sydney

Hi Maude,

Thanks for your post. It sounds like you are doing the right thing - you know what's happening and you are tring to do something about it. Good on you for that.

In regards to a psychiatrist, I am not sure of any who bulk bill, but I do know if you go to a GP and get a referral, you can obtain 6 sessions with a pyschologist under Medicare. This is through a government scheme called ATAPS. And I believe you can get 6 more sessions if required. I personally know a few people who have used this service and have found it very helpful.

You also might want to try giving ARAFMI NSW a call on 02 9332 0700. This is their Helpline. ARAFMI are essentially a carer organisation, but the operators there should have a listing of psychiatrists in their electronic library, and maybe there might be one in there who is 'user friendly'.

The last thing I can think of for you to try would be to find the number of your nearest Medicare Local office (just google this). A Medicare local has many services under their banner, and usually have a scheme called 'Partners in Recovery' which would probably be able to help you out.

Hope this information helps,

Hobbit.

Hi Maude,

Just wondering how you are going. Have you had any luck in finding a psychiatrist at all?

Hobbit.

Thank you for asking Hobbit.

No luck yet.

People who charge between $300-$600 an HOUR( and sometimes without actually helping the patient) have no right telling you that your asking for something free.

That said,generally,the only places where you won't have to pay are Public Hospitals and Community Centres which you probably already know means you have no choice over which person you get.
Have you tried the Depression Clinic at Black Dog Institute or the Cade Clinic?
http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/healthprofessionals/ourclinics/depressionclinic.cfm
http://www.cadeclinic.com/content/cadeclinic/clinic/index.php?

Thank you. It used to be that lots of psychiatrists took a percentage of Medicare patients.

Local Community Health Centres are generally no good at handling people with major depression. They are better with people with chronic conditions such as Schizophrenia.

The Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP) publishes on-line the details of psychiatrists and in their profiles they state whether they will see Medicare patients. Going through their profiles assists in finding appropriate ones (for example, some work with particular conditions or age groups). I searched under Depression and adult and found quite a number who treated depression in adults and who stated that they would see Medicare patients. However, without exception no-one was available when I rang. Some said they would - it was just that their books were full. However, when I rang back a few days later pretending to be a privately insured person, they were able to offer appointments.

If anyone is interested the link is: https://www.ranzcp.org/Mental-health-advice/find-a-psychiatrist.aspx

Re: the Black Dog Institute. They are Medicare however, they only do "one off" assessments. This can be handy however, I have been assessed and diagnosed and am looking for someone to have more than a one-off consultation with.

The CADE Clinic is also largely a clinical assessment unit.

Thank you again for yoru reply. I appreciate you taking the time.

It really shouldn't be this hard to get help.

It's a bad situation your in Maude.
You're right,it shouldn't be this hard.

What are you looking for in a Psychiatrist?
Ie: do you want someone who will just trial you on different medications or do you want someone who will use Cognitive techniques etc?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance