Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Used2Be
Senior Contributor

Financial impacts

I was just wondering how everyone else copes with the financial challenges of having a mental illness in the family. Currently three of my four family members are on a range of medications for a mix of things: me for depression, my daughter for anxiety and my husband on the really pricey stuff for ptsd. We use generics where we can. We have all used up our 10 medicare psych appts, but are fortunate that we do have private medical that covers us for this, but for both private and medicare there are copayments, plus of course the copayments for my husbands psychiatrist. While we have hit the medicare safety net and are getting smaller copayments, it all adds up, especially the medications. my gp is great and bulk bills. as both my husband and i are in full time work, I dont think we qualify for any additional support. How do you all manage the cost of mental illness?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Financial impacts

Hey Used2Be,

I saw in the other thread you mentioned your husband's PTSD - which came about through military service and working with emergency services.

Is your family, or at least your husband, entitled to anything through the Government (particuarly for military service)?

Great discussion to start.

NikNik

Have you looked into the Carers Allowance with Centrelink?  It's not means tested and requires only a form completed by your treating doctor to apply.  It's only $85 a fortnight but you get a concession card so cheaper medication.  Sometimes an individual issue doesn't apply but an application with supporting documentation to say that there are multiple 'issues' within the household can be enough to get it.

But yes - I'm sick of being behind on everything regardless of how hard I work.  On the rare occasion I get cash in the bank something happens and I'm back to being in the red.

We are immigrants, and my husband's service was with our birth country under circumstances that were not what my husband and I accept as morally right. it was conscripted service. There is no support or compensation available, and even if there was, we wouldn't take it, because of the moral implications. it is complicated, but put it this way, we are extremely happy to now be Aussie citizens. We became citizens in 2011.

Thank you JT. I was not aware of that. I am not sure if we will qualify for that as my dh is living separately from me at the moment (its complicated and hopefully temporary) but we still share all expenses, and he is at our house at least 3 days a week.

I some cases you can still qualify even living apart.  It all has to do with how much you do. Worth checking out just in case!  Also local your local Carers association may be able to help out.  Some have funding that helps with bills or just the occasional treat like a haircut depending on needs.

Hi I thought I would post this here too, as I think it applies equally here.

I have just been reading this report I found out about on ACOSS' Twitter feed. It is very interesting and has 10 case studies of DSP recipients and their experiences. I thought others might find it interesting too.

What are your experiences? Are you on DSP (if you feel comfortable talking about it)? Can you survive ok, what do you do to make ends meet?

I am on DSP - since 2007. I can make ends meet if I shop mostly at Aldi, don't have much in the way of medical bills (no medication costs) and am careful with the car. Since I have had my own house (last 3 years, thanks to money from my mum's will/estate) I have also been able to save up slowly for things, like replacing my nearly dead car. 

Kind regards,

Kristin

PS Warning some of the case studies may be somewhat triggering.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance