Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

Depression - Just Can't Get Going

Liked this article via email-News from 'the mighty' Thought it belonged here

DEPRESSION MEANS - YOU JUST CAN'T 'GET UP & GET MOVING'
Depression is a crippler; it latches onto me and sucks all of the life out of me. However, while I’m understandably drained, my bills, my son and life in general need to be attended to. But what am I supposed to do when I can’t go on because of depression? A lot of times, I am told to push past my feelings and ignore the depression as if it’s not there. But for people like me who are affected severely by depression, I often can’t just go on or ignore the depression.

It’s almost like my body has been cemented to the bed or to the couch. I can’t move, I can’t eat, I can’t sleep, I can’t even shower. Everything is hard to do when I’m depressed. I have to mentally map out the steps I plan to take to execute a task. When I finally plan it out, it can take me hours to prepare myself to get up and do it. It could be something as simple as getting up and picking my clothes up off the floor. It’s just too much at that moment. Sadly, there are more times than none when I can’t actually do what I’ve prepared myself to do. And the guilt that comes along with that is unimaginable.

I’m not the only one who is impacted in this way by depression. There are millions of disabled adults all over the world who can’t work jobs due to this debilitating disease. Being transparent, I am a part of that category of disabled millions. I tried as long as I could to fight it, to overcome it. But it never leaves me. So I have to accept this is where I am in life right now.

So the next time you hear a depressed person say they can’t come, that they are tired, that they are too depressed, please have compassion. It’s OK to motivate a person who is depressed if that’s what they need. But understand this: We know our limitations. And sometimes, that means we can’t just “get up and get moving.”

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance