Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Paladin67
Casual Contributor

Complaints to AHPRA and/or APS

Hi,

Has anyone had experiences with making complaints to AHPRA or APS about their psychologist/mental health professional? What process did you go through? What was the result? Have you tried any other avenues to address poor or harmful mental health service provision? Does anyone know any advocacy organisations that may be able to assist? I hated the first time I felt the powerlessness of a consumer of mental health services. Battling incompetent professionals who are considered to have more credibility that someone who has a long history of mental health challenges. I am on the DSP and have limited resources which just seems to add to the sense of powerlessness. I would appreciate any info.

Regards M

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Complaints to AHPRA and/or APS

You may wish to get advice from legal aid in your state. I was able to file a formal complaint against my former psychologist with his boss at the hospital and they were able to resolve it for me (he didn't deserve to lose his job over what he did to me). Seeking legal aid made a difference for me.

Hi @Paladin67 ,

I did have a case against a mental health worker from a hospital whereby the case was taken to AHPRA. 

I think I first took it to the mental health complaints commission where I clearly stated what happened. Recommendations where made to the hospital which the hospital then followed through with. AHPRA then dealt with the matter of the mental health worker. Despite them not filing anything official, the worker was interviewed a number of times. I think that in itself was a wake up call, hence i did not pursue it any further. 

I also, did not want the worker to lose their job. It was more so that the same would not happen to anyone else. Overall, throughout the ordeal, the mental health complaints commissioner workers and those from AHPRA we very supportive.

I hope you will also get the assistance you need.

BPDSurvivor

Hi there, you can make a notification to AHPRA on their website. When you search their site it will prompt you. You will need the full name and the role of the health professional . It is very frustrating and humiliating  to receive poor treatment when already in a vulnerable position.. I can empathise.  Best wishes. XOXO 

thank you BPDSurvivor.
In Queensland we have the Office of the Health Ombudsman but I've been given very negative stories. At least it sounds like you had a result.

Thanks Olga. I have looked at their website and I have everything documented but I'm concerned because it is a complex issue that a lay person would absolutely not understand. I was hoping there was some mental health advocacy organisation that might help. I have little faith in government administrative bodies.

Thank you for that!!

Hi @Paladin67 .

I've directed most of my criticism about the way I was treated to government inquiries into the mental health system and related topics.

I don't like the idea of individuals getting lashed out at and abused (suffered too many experiances on the wrong end of that behavior), so I could never bear to take any action that would be geared towards directly lashing out at my therapist. But things I've heard in places like this has convinced me that my therapist's conduct was merely one part of a chronic system-wide pattern of abusing patients. It's not my terrible ex-therapist that needs to be "corrected" or gotten rid of; it's a legion of therapists exactly like her, and the widespread usage of the same abusive practices and attitudes that Isuffered that needs to be dealt with. So that's why I say what I have to say to broad-reaching inquiries, because the problems I suffered are everywhere.

In that regard, I've found mixed success. Some of them have basically ignored everything I've had to say; others have picked and chosen select issues I wanted to address to make commentary on. A few seem to have been very receptive to the issues I raised. But in those cases, it needs to be noted that I was merely one of many saying more or less the same things. Also, it needs to be noted that the only progress we've actually seen so far is promising words, not any promising actions (yet).

In terms of advocacy organizations, you might considder talking to VMIAC (VIC), Being (NSW), or Consumers of Mental Health (WA), if any of them are in your state.

Edit: Just read through this thread and see that your in QLD. Not too sure about the advocacy situation up there, but maybe if you contacted one of the others I listed, they might have an idea about what your advocacy options are up in QLD.

Best of luck! Smiley WinkSmiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance