Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Tools for Advocacy // Tues 19th October, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

@Daisydreamer @periwinklepixie @cloudcore @Anastasia @Eve7 @lev15 

I find myself doing a lot of advocacy work without knowing it. If I feel passionate about something, I'm like a dog with a bone and I won't let go unless I see change.

@chibam , often, it seems advocacy needs numbers or large numbers of people/money/resources....but in a way, I can see how sometimes, it takes ONE person with zeal and determination to bring down mountains. The question is, Who is ready to take this on?

Only this week, I was furious at a service who refused someone to participate in a program due to their mental health. The argument was that the person was a "risk". I was furious because I knew there was no "risk". It was an excuse. So I slowly worked up the chain and finally got a call from the unit manager who immediately took steps to make amendments to the program to ensure inclusivity. Otherwise my next step was to take the matter to external services.

Thats just one example.

Welcome @Anastasia 🙂

Hello @Daisydreamer , @periwinklepixie , @cloudcore 😀👍

Got here xx

Hi @Daisydreamer @periwinklepixie @cloudcore and all forumites here this evening. 🙋I am struggling with my technology and may not contribute to the discussion. I am however interested and will support other posts where I can.

Question 2.What is the difference between self, individual and systemic advocacy? @Daisydreamer 

For the community, what kind of advocacy have you engaged in or received?

@lev15 wrote:
Thank you. I will acknowledge that in the early stages attempting to work to change hearts and minds and as a result systems can feel like a lonely place to be. Im really interested in tips and tools to maintain momentum and energy when sometimes you make a step forward but then also loose ground and have to rally to pick up the fight again. these forums are so important for that. for reaffirming we are all parts of a shared vision and network

@lev15 could not agree more Heart In my experience, have peers to lean on made the hard moments of advocacy feel lighter, and give me the motivation to keep going. You are so right that the forums are an important place for that 

@Daisydreamer wrote:

Hi @chibam 

Finding my tribe and connecting with others in the advocacy space has really helped me stay motivated too. Are you connected with others in the advocacy space?

Short answer is no.

I'm on a couple of mailing lists; and I used to subscribe to social media feeds of some organizations like Being & VMIAC. But then social media got a bit too ugly for me, and I haven't been back there in a while. So I'm probably missing out on a lot of info.

Question 2.What is the difference between self, individual and systemic advocacy?

There are many different types of advocacy:

Self Advocacy: As the name suggests, this is advocacy that happens by you for you. What this might look like in a mental health context includes sharing your recovery goals, making decisions for your wellbeing, and communicating your needs to service providers, family and friends. You know yourself and what you need best, which is why self advocacy is an important skill set for recovery. It can also be rewarding and empowering.

Individual Advocacy: There might be times in our lives when we are supporting others to advocate for themselves; we are advocating with or alongside. In the first instance, it’s always best to support someone to practice self advocacy and to support their voice if they can. But at times, we may advocate with or beside others as an ally.

Systemic Advocacy: In this space we represent and advocate for others who may not be present in the space, whether that is in committees, consultations or other systemic avenues. The role of systemic advocacy is represent broader views of people with lived experience, and ensure that all decisions made for services are made with people with lived experience. You may have heard the phrase before “Nothing about us without us”

I'm really seeing a key theme of wanting to do more as individuals and as a community but sometimes encountering obstacles. But I think every day we get up and live our lives as people living with mental illness we are making a statement and engaging in a form of advocacy. And sometimes that is enough.

For the community, what kind of advocacy have you engaged in or received?

I feel slurs get thrown around a lot, and I don't know the correct way of responding because that puts me at risk of being identified as a person with a mental health issue. Whether it's family or friends this hurts me cause I'm living with a mental health issue now and I know what it's like any help?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance