Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday: The positive side of mental health difficulties *NOW OPEN*

You know it's funny.  I would think "you are not alone" or "there's others worse off than you" and they would give me an internal boost but god help anyone who said either comment to me.  Usually because those people really didn't give two hoots about me and just wanted to say something.

I like what you said there Alessandra1992 and agree:

"I am grateful that my life would not be this good if I hadn't been unwell"

It is ridiculous that people would think it helpful to say there are others worse off than you.
Really insensitive and I would be offended if anyone said it to me.
However, when people said to me in group, it's going to be ok, you are not alone, we are here for you..well that made all the difference😄

sorry karma, i raved a bit there

what you might be saying is 

self-worth, self-esteem, goal setting

believing in yourself

having achievable plans

hope

Life is a journey from begining to end.  I may not always like what I find in each "town" I visit but at least MI keeps things interesting so I'll never fall asleep at the "wheel".

The positives take a while to emerge, but often we get an inkling from other peers who spot the changes in us before we do..it's hard to believe in yourself when you don't trust your feelings or your thinking.

But when other people start saying, I really like that idea, or thanking you for your suggestion last week, well heck, I think your self esteem starts a tingling that maybe, just maybe I am not as hopeless or as helpless as I thought or especially what other people have been telling me that I am crap or useless...

Mutual support is where we get this positive cycle that we care for each other..it is a great gift..

By saying 'you are not alone' Iwas meaning if it's said by supportive people who are going or have gone through MI themselves😊

Well! What an interesting discussion.

In wrapping up tonight & reading over all of your posts, I feel inspired.

Alessandra concluded the discussion nicely:

"The positives take a while to emerge, but often we get an inkling from other peers who spot the changes in us before we do..it's hard to believe in yourself when you don't trust your feelings or your thinking."

Thank you all for your contribution tonight.

I want to leave you with the story of Juan Mann. Some of you may know him has a "Free Hugs" guy. I thought he was an interesting example of someone who has found a positive in their tough time.

You can see his original video here 

And hear his story here

Havea  great night!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance