Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Special Events

nashy
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // LGBTQIA+ & Mental Health // Tues 29th September, 7-8:30PM AEST

Many lesbian, gay, bi, queer, trans and intersex (LGBTQIA+) community members live fulfilling and functional lives β€οΈπŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œ  However, studies have found that those in the LGBTQIA+ community face up to twice as much abuse or violence (including physical, mental, sexual or emotional) than their heterosexual counterparts. There is a cumulutive affect which increases the risk of mental health issues on top of social, environmental and psychological factors which can lead to an increase in both depression and anxiety. 

LGBTQI & Mental Health (2).png

Despite this, there are options for LGBTQIA+ people as well as supportive communities (such as our forum) who are here to hold space and advocate for non-heterosexual people as they need. Please join myself and our wonderful forum moderator & SANE Help Centre counsellor @Jynx as we discuss issues surrounding mental health and LGBTQIA+. We look forward to hearing all of your insight and coming up with some ideas on how to tackle stigma in the process Smiley Very Happy

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is this?

The event runs from 7pm - 8.30pm AEST on the 25th of August. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. 

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Our text-based event takes place right here! As it is text-based, no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the newest comments (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye out for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post. We recommend using a desktop computer or laptop for the event for overall ease of use Smiley Very Happy.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will post questions for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the event, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong, and everyone is welcome to get involved! 

What time does this event start in my timezone?

• AEST- 7pm
  • ACDT- 6:30pm
  • ACST- 5:30pm
  • WST- 4pm

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

117 REPLIES 117

Re: Topic Tuesday // LGBTQIA+ & Mental Health // Tues 29th September, 7-8:30PM AEST

Hello everyone and welcome to tonight's event on LGBTQIA+ and Mental Health β€οΈπŸ’›πŸ’šπŸ’™πŸ’œ 

A very special welcome to those who wanted a reminder of tonight's event @Romer @Former-Member @Fluttershy1 @Weirdo @Maggie @Lise07 @outlander @sara74 @eth @Adge @Rebel @NatureLover @Schitzo @Former-Member πŸ‘‹πŸ‘‹πŸ‘‹πŸ‘‹πŸ‘‹πŸ‘‹ A very big hello to you all

Tonight myself and our wonderful moderator @Jynx will be discussing how we navigate our mental health whilst also being LGBTQIA+ πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜ I am a same sex attracted woman (Lesbian/Gay) and my preferred pronouns are She/Her.

Remember this is a text based event, we recommend a browser and your desktop computer for the easiest experience (make sure you refresh your browser every few minutes to see new comments!)

Let's allow @Jynx to introduce themselves and their preferred pronouns whilst others start arriving - Take it away @Jynx πŸ˜Ž...

Re: Topic Tuesday // LGBTQIA+ & Mental Health // Tues 29th September, 7-8:30PM AEST

Hello all! Welcome to tonight’s LGBTQAI Event! I’m Jynx, you’ve probably seen me around. I’m nonbinary, grey-asexual, and I use they/them pronouns. I’m super passionate about supporting the queer community, especially when it comes to mental health and relationships. I also have ADHD and work with a focus on the intersection of LGBTQAI and disability. When I’m not working, you can find me practicing my contact sword dancing, exploring the wilderness, or playing video games. I also have two pet rats and a succulent collection!

Smiley Very HappyHeart

@Jynx @nashy hi! i love reading and learning with these events look forward to the chat. i am a cis male

Hello @Jynx @nashy @Former-Member 

@Jynx @nashy - hi hi, thanks for the tag. Nearly forgot about it

Welcome @Former-Member ! Thanks for sharing this. @Jynx sword dancing, this sounds very interesting πŸ˜²πŸ˜²

Welcome @Former-Member! Thanks for being here πŸ™‚ We will get started in a moment.

Hi @nashy , and @Jynx  it's good to meet you.  I'm really glad this discussion is happening!  I identify as a woman and am pansexual so am part of the wonderful queer community.  I use she/her pronouns.  I also have an adult child who is transgender and nonbinary and uses they/them pronouns, with children of their own who are choosing for themselves - no gender revealing until they choose what words they want to use. 

I've been involved with the forums since 2014 and have always advocated for us to be accessible and supportive for LGBQTIA2+ people.

Hi @Former-Member @Former-Member @Fluttershy1 too.  Great that you could make it.

@greenpea @Appleblossom  just in case you want to join in or know anyone else who might.

Hello and welcome!

@eth @Former-Member @Former-Member @Fluttershy1 

@eth welcome so glad you're here and wow you are an absolute forum GURU Smiley Very Happy 2014 is such an epic stint. Thank you for sharing your story and a little about your child. Love this neutral approach and the notion of allowing a kid to do that exploring for themselves. Thanks @eth πŸ™‚ Can't wait to kick off this chat with you. Thank you for advocating more LGBTQIA+ visibility on the forums too Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance