Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // How to build a safety plan with a loved one // 24 Oct. 7pm AEDT

Carers Topic Tuesday banner.png

Hi there,

Tonight will be a community discussion about creating a safety plan with your loved one. 

While we always hope that our loved one travels well, often we can constantly worry about them crashing or becoming unwell.

One strategy to alleviate the worry is to work with your loved one to create a safety plan to use in the event they become unwell. In this session we will discuss:

• What is a safety plan
  • Safety plan templates
  • How to approach the topic with a loved one
  • What's worked (and not worked) for you

Join us from 7pm AEDT to chat to those who have been there.

To get an email reminder on the night, hit the 'Like' button below.

67 REPLIES 67

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to build a safety plan with a loved one // 24 Oct. 7pm AEDT

Good evening everyone,

A shout out reminder to @SamWho @Mimi1 @2amBrain @Appleblossom @Former-Member & @Shaz51

Thank you all for joining us! Tonight we are going to look at ‘safety plans’ – what they are, what they do and how they can be used.

To kick off the night, I’d love to hear about what brought you to the session tonight.

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to build a safety plan with a loved one // 24 Oct. 7pm AEDT

Recommendation from a friend

Welcome @Charm63 🙂

Hi @NikNik well I have made a safety plan but I think approaching the topic with a loved one is something I havent done yet

Are there any examples of a safety plan? This is all new to me.

Absolutely @Charm63
We will look at a few different ones tonight.
Welcome @Former-Member

I think approaching the topic with a loved one is something different @NikNik , a lot of other issues comes into it  is different to doing a plan for yourself

Hello @Charm63, @Former-Member 

So it seems like this is a clean slate for @Charm63 - but what about @Shaz51 & @Former-Member What's your understanding of what a safety plan is & its purpose?

There's a few different definitions floating around.

@NikNik@Shaz51my understanding is that a safety plan is there when someone experiences suicidal thoughts and/or feelings. It doesn't mean that they are suicidal, just having thoughts. Its purpose is to make the person feel safe. It steps through things the person can do themselves first and then gradually brings in support people to help the person.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance