Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday **Happening Now ** Debunking the myths of BPD

Psychiatrists will be reluctant to diagnose because of the HUGE stigma within mental health services. Mental helth professionals who do not keep up with latest research do not understand it is treatable and recoverable. The advantage of diagnosis is the relief of finding out there is a name to these feelings, emotions and behaviours. For some that is life saving and others are dismissive of it. I found it a huge relief because then I knew what I was facing. Diagnosis is good for DBT and other treatment referal otherwise you are just wandering around in the dark.

Re: Topic Tuesday / 15 September / Debunking the myths of BPD

I take medication for the high anxiety levels which are part of my diagnosis this is in conjunction with mindfulness, regular psychological care and looking after my health

It can be for some people with BPD as one of the symptoms of BPD is Impulsivity. Impulsivity in at least two areas e.g spending, substance abuse, reckless driving, over eating.

could you tell us more about Schema Therapy & Mentalisation Therapy please? Where do these sit on the CBT DBT continuum?

You can be diagnosed with both. All mental illnesses have a basis in trauma. Where that trauma comes from is individual. Hearing voices, schizophrenia etc all emanate from trauma. Trauma is individual, and based on the level of stress that is overwhelming and floods the brain with toxic neurotransmitters which causes brain changes. There is debate of nature -v- nurture, but mental illness does not come out of the blue.

DBT has the group component and the individual sessions when done properly. As far as I am aware, the full DBT programme (group and individual) is on the public system and you have to have a case manager to access this. That is the case in WA. Everyone in the group has BPD and are healing at their own pace and on different stages of their journey.

A few interesting question about diagnosis. @BlueButterfly50 - do nature and nuture intereact with each other?

@FMC - I also understand that some doctors can be relunctant to diagnose a personality disorder during adolescence as people are still developing. This could be a factor. @Carolyn do you have thoughts on this?

It would be best to google these as time and knowledge limit me in this forum. However my understanding is that these are not DBT or CBT based.

My daughter has been diagnosed with BPD after being severely and relentlessly bullied throughout school by her cousin and the cousin's friends.  She's suffered from anxiety, depression and anorexia for the past 11 years.  She was recently hospitalised to weight restore, and now that she's near her goal weight she self-harms and is suicidal.  She was also 'committed' for a short stay in the mental health ward due to her suicidal thoughts and self-harm.  She is too scared to take the final step and end her life, but she has made it clear that she does want it to end.  When someone is this low, is it possible to recover and live a normal life?  Nothing we have tried so far has worked.

@Kate70, perhaps @Carolyn and @Raven can also provide some info to other treatments out there?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance