Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Viv88
New Contributor

Worried about my brother

Hi there, thank you for having me on the forum. I joined because I’m really worried about my brother, he’s 33 years old and has been suffering from anxiety and depression for quite some time. He has also been using cannabis and alcohol so cope, initially as a teenager in a social way but he is now quite isolated and has been using alone for some time. Recently I think he is experiencing psychosis as he is been really suspicious or even paranoid about people treating him differently, people following him in his car, people stopping out the front of the house etc. he is also hearing noises, the house creaking or loud horns and perceiving these abnormally. I have been gently discussing this with him and trying to encourage him to go to a doctor with me, but he doesn’t want to, he doesn’t believe it’s to do with his thinking or perception, he thinks it would be more appropriate to call the police if he needs to. He wants me and my mum to stay with him as he’s worried about being alone and also worried for our safety. He has also been sleeping much less. 

Mum wondering if there are any suggestions to help get him to talk to someone? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Worried about my brother

Yes, in my experience marijuana will do that.

I experienced some drug induced psychosis from smoking (many years ago).

The hard part is that if he doesn't see that he has a problem or that the weed is an issue it's probably going to be difficult to show him that..

Maybe you could gently point out all the difficulties he has been having since smoking pot ( if that is how it happened). He really needs to get away from that if he wants to get better..

Hi @Viv88
Your story makes me feel for my brother who would of watched my illness develop, seen it at its worst and then seen the end results. I feel for My whole family who seen it from start to this present point actually.
Eude

It would feel scary to notice those changes in your brother @Viv88. Cannabis can trigger psychotic symptoms and certianly a lack of sleep would be exacerabting how he is feeling. It's great that he's got you and your family on his side. 

You've done well to encourage him to reach out for support. It's really common for people experiencing perceptual changes to feel reluctant about seeking help. And for most people, they do eventaully connect with support in time. If at any time you're concerned about his safety you can of course contact 000 too.

I thought I'd drop in the MHFA Guidelines to supporting a person experiencing psychosis in case it's relevant. It has some useful tips worth a read over. 

It can help to have a chat with a GP yourself and they can give you a bit more guidance as to how you might help your brother. Your local area mental health crisis team are a good resource if you need too. 

Hi@viv88

when i heard about these situation  it makes me really sad and i understand your situation did something happened in his past which is bother him till now and he is insecure he needs love and care and you can also try some mental health organisation who can talk to him and understand what is bothing him ,sometimes people don't disscuss things with their own people and they do with others.Try it if you want.Good luck and take care 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance