Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jaycoco
Casual Contributor

Where to from here?

Today. My son tells me he is catching the greyhound bus to Charleville from Gold Coast to work as a volunteer on a farm. His explanation was that he needs to get away into the desert where he can be away from all these evil spirits that keep talking to him in his head. And also God told him he must go.
Why now was my reply. You have just gone to the GP to set up psychological therapy and counselling and it is nearlyChristmas. What are you going to do out there on your own on Christmas Day.
Also you don't have a SIM card as you have thrown it away . How will you stay in contact?

I thought he would think about it but his house mate phoned me tonight to say he had taken his suitcases and was going to sleep at the station until it was time to catch the bus. Also his friend told me that he had taken a taxi on the Friday night to Toowoomba and also returned that same night. And then on Saturday night he walked for 30 km and got himself lost. He did not have his phone as he had thrown the SIM card away.
I find this very worrying as I don't have a contact number for him and he does not have a phone or money that I know off. He is on a depo for his meds and this will become due mid month.
I also feel bad as I had been lecturing him earlier today about the bad choices he always makes and how it impacts so negatively into our lives.

Who has walked this kind of road? And what is the best way to manage this?
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Where to from here?

It does sound worrying. Did he at least give you the address or contact number of the farm he is going to? Or perhaps he may have given it to his friend? If so...you could ring and see if he made it safely...and if it feels appropriate, maybe you could mention his illness?? I'm not sure.

I hope he will be able to get his next dose of medication at the proper time. It even sounds as though the medication may not be working too well, maybe the drug or dosage needs reviewing. I wish I could be of more help!

Hi @Jaycoco,

I thought I'd point out this thread, which was started by @Suzi, she is a parent of an adult child with a MI. In this thread, @Rover also points out some great resources. You might findin reading and contributing to that thread useful while waiting for a response here. Additionally @Rover  @Suzi @Singer @waves  might be able to provide some more suggestions. 

@Jaycoco can I ask if he has behaved like this in past? If so, what's been done? Also does he have a mental health care team that you can contact?

CB

Hi Jaycoco do you know or can you contact his GP. I know that there is confidentiality involved but I am lucky enough in my situation to have the same GP and am able to contact them when I am concerned that my sons condition is becoming out of control.

i believe you can contact local or "in area " hospitals and police and inform them of the situation and this decision your son has made . Ask the police how many days an "unwell person" can be missing for before a Missing Persons Report can be lodged. Theres lots of different factors to consider too- but your hospitals and police can advise you on what you can do as the carer. Best of luck

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance