Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

SusanMay
Casual Contributor

Undiagnosed Bipolar- My Daughter

I have just joined this group to try & find some answers with regards to my eldest daughter. I have strongly suspected for some time, that she has bipolar, because she has very extreme highs & lows. I have recently found out that she has had an extramarital affair & I am devastated. I’m not sure if her husband of 12 years is aware of this. My son-in-law is a good man & I don’t want her to destroy her marriage/life if there is a way of helping her/them. I think she needs to seek professional advice & get a formal diagnosis, but I don’t know how the best way to convince her to do this. I think she will deny that she has any issues when I speak to her about this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Undiagnosed Bipolar- My Daughter

@SusanMay Hi SusanMay I have Bipolar and schioaffective disorder and when I was very sick my mother was the only one who was trying to get me help from other people but not once did she say to me I think you are sick and need to go to a psychiatrist. I was so sick I didnt know I was ill you see ... I am just saying here and now I wish she did because things could have turned out very differently for me.

Hi Greenpea,
Thank you for your response. I am thinking about speaking to my daughters husband to see if he is willing to join me in the fight to help my daughter, & try to get her the help that I think she needs. If she is in denial about her issues & won’t willingly seek help, I think both her husband & I together would have a much greater chance to convince her to get help.
Please don’t be too hard on your mother. It’s not easy being a parent, especially in these situations. At least she recognised that you needed help, & she obviously chose to try & help you with a more gentle approach. Mothers love their children unconditionally no matter what their children say & do. 😘

The worse thing about the condition, is that generally the person who has the condition does not think that there is anything wrong with themselves and convincing them to go and talk to a phychiatrist is very difficult.

You should read up on Bi polar symptons and see whether they relate to your daughter, then she how she reacts when you say that should see someone. But if she is manic she wont hear a word of it.

Hi Zorro,
Thank you for your response. I have read up on the symptoms, & I’m expecting her to be in denial. I’m hoping to get my son-in-law onboard, & that way we can present a united front, that will hopefully convince her to seek help.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance