Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ontheseashore
Casual Contributor

Scared and anxious, questioning my diagnosis

* not hating on psychiatry, not asking for diagnosis, just want to share my feelings

Hi, thanks for reading this.

I'm feeling really bad right now. My anxiety has been through the roof. I've been wasting and ruining weekends and rest time because I've been unable to relax. After I've had an awkward conversation or made a mistake, I keep replaying and questioning everything I've said and calling myself stupid. I've sat up at night with my journal trying to coax myself to bed, writing down the same old fears that I'm not enough, and that everyone hates me, and that I can't change. 

Ten years ago, I was also diagnosed with bipolar. I think it's accurate to say that I've had wild and extended periods of manic and depressive episodes. And I think that taking the antipsychoic meds has really helped stabilise my moods. But I feel like something else is going on.

I'm bad with noting  and remembering details in conversations, I've always struggled to stay focused and finish tasks like assignments. I miss the points of conversation and I keep interrupting people, and accidently say inappropriate things. I used to think that was just the way I was and that was something I couldn't change or explain. 

Last week I caused a minor COVID scare at work because I didn't report the details well to my boss, and couldn't remember all the facts when I was asked to recall them. 

I hate that I keep trying to put myself into boxes. I don't think that labeling my "symptoms" and treating myself like a patient to be examined is helpful. I want to see myself as a whole person but that feels unwell, and my current supports aren't giving me any answers.

A few years ago I started questioning if I have something else like autism or adhd. My partner thought I was being melodramatic and my psychiatrist didn't think my garbled explanations were significant to re-examine my diagnosis.   

But I think that whatever is happening to me in my head might be more than I can manage, especially if my  chronic inattention and vagueness makes me a liability at work. 

So I'm going to try to get my dignosis re-examined by another psych and, if I can,  ditch the one that I've kept seeing only because he bulk bills. 

I just feel so shitty going back to work every day, and now I'm paranoid that the records I've made for work clients have been bad too. I'm scared.

Please tell me I'm not alone. 

tl;dr Feeling anxious, did shit thing at work because I can't focus, has there been something else wrong with me? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Scared and anxious, questioning my diagnosis

Hi ontheseashore.

Roadrunner here, doing some moderating.

Welcome to a place where you are not alone, and can reflect with others who understand what you are experiencing.

It is sometimes easy to create complexity about the life swirling around us and doubt ourselves. 

During these times try to look after yourself the best way you have learnt to so far. 

THere is plenty of support from other members here for you also.

Love your avatar!

Roadrunner

Hi Roadrunner, thanks for that. I'll try to do some meditating and take the day as it comes. It's great to be a part of a space like this.

I love being on the seashore

@ontheseashore 

Smiley Happy

I have often been told that questioning is a good way to come to understand things.  Fully support your right to move on if you feel your current doctor is not able to give you good attention.

Welcome

Hi there @ontheseashore you're definitely not alone here. Not being able to focus or retain info at work is something I have struggled with a lot too. I vaguely remember reading something a while ago about a connection between issues with memory and PTSD, which seemed to make sense to me.

I hear you, that you're concerned there are unaddressed issues still. Perhaps talking to people on here will actually be of more help than the opinion of one person--your psych. I agree with a lot my therapist says and value his insight greatly, but I also think he doesn't have all the answers and isn't going to get it right 100% of the time. Trust your instincts, if something still isn't feeling right, you deserve the chance to explore it further

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance