Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

bananagyaru
New Contributor

PMS energy slump help

I want to start by saying I am in debt to my PMS. It has given me the strength to overcome challenges, quit jobs that have been draining, and stand up to people that have tried to hurt me in a number of ways.

What I'm struggling with at the moment, and seeking to see if other people experience too, is a complete lack of energy to leave the couch or bed? And ways to overcome it

It's frustrating cause at other times of the month I'm mentally well, self-managing, and can at least pin point the source of my poor health if I'm experiencing any.

Can medication be a remedy for PMS triggered slumps?

Does anyone else experience the same thing? Or have any tips for managing PMS triggered slumps?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: PMS energy slump help

Hi @bananagyaru 

I have experienced all sorts of things with PMS. Have you talked to your GP about it? I have tried different meds over the years with some success. My mental health is usually quite detrimentally affected by PMS. Currently I am at the other end of this part of life. Am still in peri menopause but should be getting close to menopause. 

Im not sure what meds are around but I think I would talk to a good GP about this. My GP seems on top of these issues and she has been a fabulous support. Sorry I can’t give you specific help around this as I haven’t experienced it in the same way you have. Best wishes. 😊

hi @bananagyaru  and welcome

As @Teej  has suggested it may be a good idea to have a chat with your gp if this is becoming bothersome for you. They can have a look to see if there is something else causing it as well such a deficency or hormonal imbalance. I have heard of a few medications such as suppliments and contraceptions ( youll have to speak to your gp about what sorts) that are helpful for mood and energy levels.  I am affected by PMS however most of  my lack of energy often stems from the amount of pain im in each month. for me i can barely move anywhere because of pain and discomfort but i dont have much choice with work etc. 

For me, i try to set something nice each day when i know i wont have much energy. Its not really anything big but enough to make me want to get up such as an icecream treat, a scenic drive along the beach,  or something else. Another thing that helped me for a while was taking magnesium suppliments- again this is just me- but i found it helped with my muscle recovery during sport and for my energy levels in general as well. 

Have you tried abit of acceptance? Sometimes theres not much that we can do besides riding it out knowing that youll be right again in a few days time and just allowing yourself to have those few slow and uneventful days. 

Thank you for your responses, @Teej and @outlander !

I'll book an appointment to see my GP on Monday.

I have brought it up with my GP before and she's recommended the same thing about having small doable treats to park me up through the PMS week but also to maintain these practice throughout the whole month so they become habit.

Hopefully she can offer up some more advice and I'll see how I go next cycle 😊

Thank you all again! 

Welcome to the forums @bananagyaru. We're so glad to hear that you have an appointment with your GP about your PMS as they'll be the best place to start getting some help. 

@outlander provides some great advice regarding acceptance. PMS is real and you shouldn't feel any less because you have no energy or are in pain, so please don't put yourself down because of it. Instead, think about ways that you can help and be kind to yourself - prepare with a heat pack, some comfy PJs and even food that will help you feel better (apparently banana's are good for PMS). How are you feeling today?

sounds like a good plan @bananagyaru
and as Ali mentioned preparing with self care would be a good comfort too
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance