Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

waves
Contributor

Now it's some form of schizophrenia

Last week we were told that my young adult son has Paranoid Personality Disorder.  Today with other mental health professionals we were told he has some sort of schizophrenia or "thought disorder".

I'm trying to get over the negativity of the term "schizophrenia".  My ex husband's sister has been institutionalized as schizophrenic all her adult life.  I have never met her.

when my ex-husband and I separated, he threatened me that our sons, one or both, I don't remember which, would become shizophrenic if I went through with the divorce. 

When my son had a nervous breakdown 10 years ago, a psychiatrist in the USA prescribed a potent cocktail of drugs (do not remember the names) and he had very bad reactions.

So we are both drug adverse.

However, as he has been going nowhere for 10 years, he said he is willing to try drugs, which is what the mental health professionals today recommended.  He has a followup meeting next week. 

He is also seeing a psychologist but not regularly.  We were told there will be little coordination between the community mental health professionals and the psychologist. 

I asked about group therapy... my son is very isolated socially.  they said they don't have any although there are some support groups.  The professional implied that my son might not fit into any of the groups. 

My son told them he is unemployed and has not had any steady long term work.  they said he could probably get a disability pension. 

He is very high functionning, well educated, college graduate, and could work with the right placement.  right now he needs to concentrate on his mental health.  Work, at least voluntary, could help. 

what's next?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Now it's some form of schizophrenia

Hi Waves,

I'm called Hobbit, nice to meet you. 

What a story, I really feel for you. One thing that stood out to me upon reading your post was that you said your son is socially isolated and you mentioned support groups or group therapy.

I think talking to others who are in the same or similar situations as ourselves can be very good therapy. There are also support groups for carers that you may want to consider.

If you can tell me which state you live in, we might be able to offer you the phone numbers of some relevant organisations that could help you.

Hobbit

Don't feel too downhearted. At least he has a diagnosis and these days the anti psychotic medications allow people to lead a good quality of life compared to the past. Sounds like he needs to attend support group run by Mental Illness Fellowship. This might help him to identify reachable goals and devise a mental health plan. Good luck.

Hello-i think centrelink can provide networks for supportive employment agencies aswell. Ask for a case manager and perhaps set up a meeting with them? Has any one else worked with these sorts of agencies?

Hi waves,

Just thought I woudl drop you a line and see how you are travelling

Hobbit.

Now too good. My son is down in the dumps today and negative towards everyone and everything

My son was diagnosed with schizophrenia yesterday. He has a paternal uncle and great uncle with florid disease. When my ex husbands mother found out I was adopted at birth, and have no medical history she yelled. " how can you marry her you don't know what she might bring in to the family ". I may well have a positive family history. I don't know and it doesn't matter my son, like yours, is a high functioning, intelligent boy who has gradually changed over the last few years. I'm kind of glad we have a diagnosis, as much as I wish we could change it.

All we can do is advocate for our children. There must be help somewhere. This seems like an ok place to start

Greetings Boo
I have been advocating for some time... I live outside Australia for many months of each year. Each time I come back, it's like starting over. Let's see what happens. My son agreed to take meds and he's been assigned a case worker by the community mental health system.
Trying to be positive but....

Hi waves,
My daughter was diagnosed with schizophrenia early this year. I took a while to get things.
Firstly , we as parents need to go through a process to come to the point we are able to accept our children has mental illness. The other struggle is how to get your child for treatment. This is not very easily done as our relationship with her was severely strained
Many traumatic episodes happened and we were at a lost on how to react. She can easily get into a rage
Then, then psychologist gave us a call to inform my daughter is too ill and might need to be hospitalised. I couldn't accept this idea
Finally, we got her admitted into a private hospital and on hind-side that the best decision we have made .
She was monitored closely and the medication was gradually increased to meet her needs. Our experience with 2 other prescriptions were traumatic and the side effects frightening . But I guess we have no choice but to go through this to find the right medication. If you are lucky, your son may get the right on on the first go,
I need medication is absolutely necessary, without medication things can only get worse from my experience.
We may hope it will go away but it will not.
So get medication ASAP

There are a variety of peer groups that may help your children, your community mental health services should be able to,provide details. Some community based groups that I know of , are Voices Groups, Grow and some services also run their own recovery groups and programs. This includes organisations such as MIND, MIF and NEAMI and cohealth. Depends on the catchment area you are located in, if you are based in Victoria.

Voices groups are listed if you google voices vic, and you can find out more about grow groups at www.grow.org.au.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance