Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Not sure what to do !!!

They're lucky to have you @Shaz51  You're amazing with all you do xx

Sad to hear your mum thinks she may be having the onset of dementia.  I'm pretty sure there are tests for it these days, and also treatment options.  My nana had it for many years (about 20) before she passed away and my uncle lived with her all that time from his late teens.  It was amazing some of the ideas they had to help her remember things, and I am sure you already are just as helpful of a carer as he was.

Hello @eth , @Former-Member , @outlander , @Smc , @Former-Member , @Determined , @Owlunar , @greenpea , @Adge , @Appleblossom , @Jacques 

I am at a loss what to do 

As you know mum had hip surgery 8 months ago , over the months mum has had a few falls without telling me and then today she said she had another fall and told us and her sister while afternoon tea

She won't go to the doctor or the hospital

She is leaping and sure is getting dementia 

Her sister is getting upset with her and my aunty has lots of pain and problems 

Heart @Shaz51. So hard when you can see she needs help, but won't accept it. 😞

Yes @Smc  mum has been in hospital so many time for reoccurring bowel obstruction

She has been home for 18 weeks now and does not want to go to hospital xx 

it is soo  hard @Smc , @eth , @Former-Member , @outlander , @Former-Member , @greenpea , @Owlunar ' @Adge , @Former-Member , @Determined , @Appleblossom 

not sure weather to make a doctor`s appt for her that she wont go too Smiley Sad

sorry to hear how tough it is @Shaz51 perhaps getting a doctor to come to her home would be better for her.

Hi @Shaz51 

Sorry to hear that your are struggling with arranging some care and help.

A possible source of assistance that does not involve going to an appointment is HealthDirect https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/ 

You can speak to a registered nurse 24/7 on 1800 022 222   The website also has a lot of useful information including a symptom checker.

warmest regards

Whitehawk

@Shaz51 

Heart

Hearing you about how hard it is to distinguish the best way to help when a person we love is vulnerable.  When is it taking over their own autonomy and do people want to give it up easily.  Usually not.  My mother was very independent, but at the end she made very sensible decisions in coperation with local council and health and then put herself into palliative care.  It really helped that she made those decisions herself.  From my understanding its best to keep doing things for oneself as long as possible.  I have a friend who has been put into high care. Supposedly, medically she "needs" it, but it felt a little premature from my viewpoint.  Only you and your family can work out the best balance for you all in providing a safety net for your mum.  

Good Luck.

Smiley Happy

thank you @WhitehawkSmiley Happy@outlander , i am at loss what to do , soo many choiese

and then to and when do you go against my mum`s wishes  ad demand her to go to the doctor for a checkup

and i just ha dinner and i have sweated soo much that we have put the aircon on

it is hard xxxx

thank you my @Appleblossom , just makes it hard to decide when to take mum to hospital

mum says she is ok

but her sister wants her to go to hospital and have a scan , but she wont

and I just don`t know when to step in @Appleblossom , @Whitehawk , @outlander , @Smc , @eth 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance