Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lemonjuice
Senior Contributor

News item on therapies and benefits.

Just saw this and thought people might be interested or concerned.

https://theaimn.com/australian-psychological-society-medicare-review-submission-betrays-members-and-...

7 REPLIES 7

Re: News item on therapies and benefits.

Thank you for posting @Lemonjuice. It certainly would have an effect on me I think with my current therapist.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it.  Despite studying psychology, I am not involved on the practical side of psychology, more into the experimental side.

Anyone want to put it into simpler terms what is going on?

The way i read it @Lemonjuice is that only clinical psychologists who have an endorsed membership/rating through the APS will be able to provide clients with medicare funded sessions if they have a moderate to severe or complex health challenge. There are only (i think it was) 34% of registered psychologists currently with that level of rating/endorsement which would mean far less choice of people to see if you rely on bulk billing/medicare funded sessions with our therapists. For regional, low socioeconomic areas it would probably be catastrophic as there are far few psychologists of that rating to be found... but that is just what i understand from it and may be mistaken too on some of it...

That's for posting this @Lemonjuice.  From a quick scan, it looks to me like the APS are trying to get medicare funded counselling services restricted to their members only.  Lots of Psychologists are registered with the government body but choose not to become APS members as you don't get a lot for your money.

One of the problems with this is that APS endorsed Psychologists are less likely to bulk-bill in my experience.  So it has the potential to further restrict access to counselling for those without the funds to pay gap fees. 

At the moment they are only recommending the restriction for severe conditions but it could be like the thin edge of the wedge and future submissions would recommend it more widely. 

I hope this gets shot down as it's the most economically disadvantaged amongst us that would be most impacted.

...the root of all evil rearing it's ugly head. 🤨

what/who is the root of all evil do you mean @Lemonjuice ? 

Money, greed is the root of all evil. They don't care about people, just power and money.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance