Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

LadyLuck45
New Contributor

Needing advice on how to help

Hi everyone,

I hope I'm posting in the right forums. I've been playing online games with a person in a different country for a few months now and on occasions they have expressed feelings of ending it all. We only talk through a voice chat service and I have only have a few sketchy details about their personal life. I do not know them personally. Lately they have become more depressed, argumentative than usual and have said they were thinking of ending it. I've tried to be supportive but I don't know what else to do, no amount of support I give seems to be helping. They have however told me they are seeking support from doctors and going through therapy in their own country. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Needing advice on how to help

Hi @LadyLuck45 it sounds like you have been a great support for your friend. I can understand it might feel difficult to support them at times as you are somewhat removed from them but as you have seen in the forums a supportive ear can mean a lot. 
It is wonderful that you have checked in on them and they are receiving support, remember at these times to also reflect on how you are feeling. 

-LouLouMagoo 

Hi @LadyLuck45, I guess all you can do is let them know that you are available for them to chat. In your situation you can offer friendship, be empathetic, ask them what's bothering them. Sometimes people just want to be heard.

Best try not to react when they are argumentative but at the same token you need to look after yourself and not tolerate any verbal abuse. The good thing is that you can make an excuse or simply go offline to avoid that which isn't as easy in real life. 

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate your help. I try not to react when the person is being argumentative although it is hard. I feel like if I say or do the wrong thing that I may make the situation worse and push that person over the edge. I'm finding it all very mentally challenging. I will however support this person for as long as a can as I know I would want the same if I was in their position. I just wish I knew this persons family so I could tell them they are struggling.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance