Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Turner2014
Casual Contributor

Mania or Manic

Mania or Manic

So i have been going through the ups and downs of bipolar for years and i have tried to mange it over and over again myself. Around 2 months ago i took a step and asked for help, got a confirmed diagnosis and started treatment.

I can’t tell if I just exhausted all the self help avenues (including doing a entire degree in psychology.) or things were just getting so out of hand that i needed help.

How i am adjusting to medications may be a different story. But i never used to be afraid or worried about my mania i looked forward to it. I would clean, draw, write do assignments get heaps done and feel wonderful. I do recall some risky behaviours, but mostly this was contained to staying up late, drinking a little to much.

Just this week i was going up up up. I was shocked how UP i was going but excited, i felt great and i got rushes through my body. My brain felt electric and i felt what i think now was MANIC. I engaged in discussing in appropriate things with a woman at work. I am recently married and for the most part very happily married. I am a stab up honest and what i would consider gentleman. Yet i stepped over the line.

Nothing happened, it was flirting on the next level though, something i would never normally do. This has happened in the past when i thought about it. But not with my wife, it was with past GF and i realised i miss interpret or sometimes correctly interpret signals and get all hyper sexual when i am really up. I have ruined good friendships by propositioning or flirting with people i should not have in the past and its only just occurred to me that it’s all connected.

I know that some of my actions were motivated by ongoing issues. But thinking about things as we all do and acting on them is a very different thing.

Do others get like this? What do you do to avoid making mistakes? Do i need to adjust medications ? should i take the day of work or what ?

& how in the world can i discuss this with my wife. I kind of discussed it with her in very vague ambiguous terms and i think she understood. She was happy i came home and didn’t do anything stupid J

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Mania or Manic

Yes mania is awesome for getting stuff done. But everything moves to slowly for me so I am super irritable.

When I start to get Manic I tell  husband so he can keep an eye out for me. I give him my credit card and I take a mood Stabler BEFORE I get up up up. Cause although it is great to be there, it costs my family so much. And then dealing with the physical and emotional aftermath is no longer worth the high. yes I have stayed home when I am too up and taken a sedative that my psychiatrist has prescribed for exactly that situation. it is really hard to be self disciplined as when you are up you want to do stuff. The last thing you want or need is sleep.

well from my own expierence I have never realised what was happening I qould spend lots of money doing lots of silly things that were dangerous and risky and inappropriate.
I know what you mean by fliering at tge next level I get like that whwn very up I explained to a close female work friend a little bit about me regarding if I step over a line - to tell me she told me in the last 12months of working at my job until I lost my job a total of 14 incidents when I went across the line
I didn't realize at the times how I was and how much trouble I couls have gotten into if I hadn't discussed with her prior.

I am now on the tricky end of things with so much gone wrong for not getting help when the warning signs were so bright and clear lol

It sounds like your wife is trusting of you and I would broach the subject with your psychologist if you have one and get there thoughts on it also....

I am currently bobbing between low mania and depression for the last couple of days seeking as much help as I can handle lately which when I am up is more thw merrier then I will go days in a low mood not getting out at all.
I have restricted all my credit cards and entrusted them to my parents to keep away from me the damage I can do in just a few hours takes months to repair
I too take a lovely combo mix of meds to try and keep me level and I also have a sleeping aid if needed when sleep decides to avoid me
welcome as well to the forums
you seem to have a good grasp on what is going on

Yeah i have a psychologist and a psychiatrist atm as i have only recently seeked real help. I will bring this up with both of them thanks for the advice. Its hard sometimes, to know whats right whatrs wrong and whats best. But i can see through it, only just and i am affraid what will happen the day i cant.

I also recently have passed on the tourch of my credit cards and i am making changes in my lifestyle. I am positive that things are getting better after 2months of treatment. But increased mania, and all the side effects from my anti depresants have made life a little painful in a different way entirely.

I am hopeing they will disipate more with time but so far i spend most days in a sleepy daze, yawning and streaching constantly. I feel dry in the mouth, sometimes tight in the chest and dont even get me started on the intamacy complecations lol.

Will i have to put up with this forever ? or should i talk about switching medications ?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance