Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Deluvsue
Casual Contributor

Late diagnosis, ADHD /autism

First try at this sort of thing. I've been completely isolated, my dad tries but tells me just move on, with everything. Get over it. I have extreme rejection sensitivity and my emotions are not regulated. Because I've masked all my life, I don't think he realises how hard life is for me. Where can I get support for him, so he can understand, I know he wants to.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Late diagnosis, ADHD /autism

Hey there @Deluvsue ,

Welcome to the forums. It sounds incredibly hard for people around you not to understand you needs. I can see how it can be so tough.

I'm glad to hear your dad wants to understand. Have you ever taken him to appointments with you and perhaps it's a good opportunity for your treating team to explain it to him?

What kind of supports do you have in place?

We are here for you.

@Deluvsue 👋🏼 Welcome to the Forum 

Thank you for sharing your truth and reaching out.

How do you feel about your diagnosis?

I was 40 when I was diagnosed with ADHD and dyslexia.
G

No support, 48 and no friends.

He lives 3 hours aways and each time we talk on phone it usually ends with me hanging up in frustration.

I'd love to be able to give him a resource, like AL ANON.

I'm relieved, at least I know now. Spent my life tortured, not knowing why I got EVERYTHING wrong.
Every bridge has been burnt, but with diagnosis I'm not in despair.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance