Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lemonjuice
Senior Contributor

How do you know when to get help?

Hi everyone,

I have been having a conversation about suicidal ideation with my counsellor this past week.  I have been experiencing urges to suicide for a long time now, so long that it's normal way of being for me.  She said to me, that that was the point, that it had now become so normal that I could no longer trust my thoughts and feelings about it and I needed to trust others to figure it out for me. I've always controlled it, no matter how bad it got, and the urges sort of come and go.  I can't be calling lifeline three or four times a day and there's no use going to hospital...by the time I get there, I will be ok again.  In the end, I agreed to call Lifeline if the urge became strong.  It's confusing though, cause what's a small urge for me, is a crisis situation to her or others...so how do you know when it's time to call for help?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: How do you know when to get help?

Hey Lemon,

that's a difficult question - we all need help - I'm sitting outside alone in the dark right now wondering why I'm alive.  But I am, I have family whom I can't visit now, but I think they love me.  Suicidal thoughts are quite common - but they are a cry for help - if you seriously want to end your life now - please call 000. If you need someone to talk to call Lifeline 

@Lemonjuice hey Incan relate to this struggle.

I guess for me I know when to call when the thoughts start becoming more than thoughts, eg becoming plans or I'm engaging in serious self harm.

@The-red-centaur @Tay 

I spoke to my counsellor today about this.  What's been happening is that I am in a constant state of depression and feeling overwhelmed, to such a degree that I just need to have an argument or be hurt by family, or a bill comes in, or something breaks down and I go from 0 to 100 in terms of being suicidal in seconds.  Last time was a couple of weeks ago.  I had a bad argument with my nephew and found myself shutting down, going on automatic and leaving my house to go end it.  I meant to go one place, ended up somewhere else and I know it sounds zany but it was getting on, nearly 5pm and I had the thought that my nephew would be in a stinking mood if there was no food after work.  It was enough to wake me up, for me to regain control and I went home.  Today, she re-emphasized that while the urges come and go, if I do something like that again, then I must contact someone...lifeline.  I agreed again to do that, don't want to, it's a total waste of time cause I have always controlled it but ok, a promise is a promise.

I've always been what my family and friends call stubborn - tell me not to do something I'll do it. But they can only support me so much - I love them and they love me  - sometimes I'm not in a frame of mind to talk to them - but then they say why haven't you called. It's tough to understand how people without mental illness react to you - I'm getting help but my family thinks there's an end date - a suddenly being cured date. It's hard to cope- i understated completely - in saying that Lifeline can help - they saved my life last year - take care sweety 

Just saw your post, are you alright @Lemonjuice ?

@Tay I'm the opposite, I'm high functioning, so, while my family knows I have panic attacks and depression, I don't ask for their help or appear sick in front of them.  Infact, I pick other people up.  Inside my head I am a mess though.  We do share one major thing though, there's no quick fix or end date and it can take one's whole life of working on ourself.  I have been listening to this guy called Gabor Mate and he has achieved a great deal in his life, but he is still working on himself, going on retreats, etc.  I wonder if it's better that we just give up on the idea of 'fixing' our mental illness and start thinking about it as a life journey project.

@Former-Member  I'm ok. I have my moments but I am working on it.

@Former-Member  and I am so rude...thank you for thinking of me.💓

I don't think you're rude, and I understand about having moments. @Lemonjuice 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance