Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Ztar24
Casual Contributor

Disassociating is ruining me

I'm not sure if anyone else has some experience and or help to give. I've been doing really well with my mental health since leaving the hospital in late December. Recently I've been under a lot of pressure and I've started disassociating. I basically just shut off all my feelings and thoughts. It's something I've done all my life, especially as a child to deal with trauma.

The problem now is I'm doing so much better, not needing my anxiety meds, staying sober and present in the moment, the difference between me being 'here' and 'away' is very obvious to my husband. I'm also unable to not drink when I'm disassociating. It's like I have no control and this 'other' part of me is in control. The only way for me to be present again is to just go to sleep and hope I wake up better. 

Any ideas on how to stop disassociating and take back control?

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Disassociating is ruining me

anti-psychotics helped me @Ztar24 

Welcome to the forum @Ztar24, it's great to hear that you've been doing well with your mental health. Have you been able to chat to your GP about what's been going on?

Hi @Ali11 , I'm seeing my psychiatrist again in a month and will mention it to him then. I've been trying to get the right dose of antipsychotic meds, which have helped with my manic episodes, but it's really strong and I have had trouble taking them as prescribed. But this might be part of the problem Smiley Embarassed as I'm not taking my meds as I should...

Getting the right dose of meds is hard @Ztar24, are you able to see your psychiatrist earlier, especially if you are having trouble with your current medication levels? 

Hi @Ztar24 I'm not sure what your diagnosis is and obviously it's worth following up on other comments here re anti-psychotic meds (though I find they can space me out / detach me even more) – but there's a technique I'm learning in DBT for when I'm feeling really disassociated. It sounds a little simple and odd I'm sure – but might be worth a try? You place your face into a bowl of water with lots of ice in it, hold for 30 seconds. It's very intense, physical, engages some sort of biological response, snaps you back into your body shortly after. I didn't think it would work but it has really helped me.

I know sleep can help too though, although it's not always quick or practical! 

I hope you feel better soon. 

This is helpful for me to read

@Anya_77 Thanks, I'll definitely try this

Let us know how you go @Ztar24Smiley Happy

@Ztar24

I am familiar with parts of your story about dissociating. I have a mind that dissociates and i try to keep it from getting distracted by closing off. It is an exacerbation of my illness which makes it very hard for me to function. 

I wanted to reply to tell you what has worked for me. I listen to soothing music on my headphones when i am out. I am trying to get the brain working again. I try and memorise passages of my own personal resources. I use coordination skills by throwing something between the right and left hand to get both the sides of the brain working. It helps to talk about it in cooperation with help and stay in friendly contact with people.

I hope you are going okay.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance