Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Corona

HI All,

I'm sure we all suffer with the news about the corona virus. I wish we could have a topic tuesday @Former-Member 

I was struggling during the bushfires. They were very close but thankfully I was safe, though we had losses in the community. I started merging traumas. I was able to work out the differences between the past and current trauma during an admission.

I've started again. This time I cannot control my thoughts and feelings. I'm isolating myself, that doesn't help my mind, but I'm too scared to meet people, I even asked my son not to come home... The illness itself is terrifying, but I am terrified by the consequences, the consequences we currently have and the enormous impact this will have on the stability in the world. We might be at the edge of the world in Australia, with few cases compared to other nations, but there are nations that are dividing now, like the european union, travel bans, racism, financial downturn... and it scares me. I don't think I am able to see the differences to past trauma, I just feel panic every moment I don't distract. Once again watching helplessly as the horror unfolds. I can't do this again. I know there is nothing I can do and as in the past I can only be the silent watcher.

I'm trying to cut down on news coverage. I don't listen or watch the propaganda news and try to see a broader view. I'm trying to cut out social media. I can't disconnect from my relatives and friends in europe. I don't know how to protect myself, mentally. I try to plan my day and look after my basic needs and practice breathing and self-compassion. It doesn't help the panic. I feel this dead gremlin grabbing my throat tightly and with its teeth around my head and the ice cold breath down my neck and back. It hurts, physically. I can't deal with this, I know it is catastrophising, but it doesn't help to know that.

26 REPLIES 26
Jupiter
Community Manager

Re: Corona

Hi there @Former-Member 

I can hear how overwhelming news reports around the coronavirus has been for you. Information shared through the media can create anxiety for everyone, but can be particularly difficult for people already living with mental health issues. 

It sounds like you've been proactive in managing your mental health already by limiting the amount of news coverage and social media you see. Also, like you mentioned, going back to basics can be helpful too in times of stress. There are a couple of blogs you may be interested in reading: coping with distressing news events and How to stop catastrophising.

If you or anyone else is looking for accurate information about the coronavirus from the government, there is some info here.

Your suggestion around having a Topic Tuesday dedicated to the coronavirus and impacts on mental health issues is a great one. To make it count, you can officially add your suggestion via the link here.

Take care all!

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Something that my father taught me to do when I was a kid was to wash my hands on returning home from school in the flu season - the proper, singing 'happy birthday to you' scrub that is recommended to remove nasties. Perhaps you could teach your son to do the same and that would reduce your fears? (and possibly exposure).

Hearing you about the state of the planet. @Former-Member

It is very concerning.

Progress and Evolution may not be all it is supposed to be ....

yet I also meet enough good decent people and their ideas or posts which helps alleviate any extreme feelings of panic. Connecting with people who care helps me.

Its a good idea to have a corona topic. @Jupiter 

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

I'm starting to feel panicky. I am so anxious. Went to shops yesterday and there's no toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, rice or pasta. My daughter had trouble getting nappies. 
I'm getting very anxious cause I don't know Whst else to do. 
too much going on 

@Appleblossom @Former-Member @Gwynn @Jupiter and others reading 

permaculture flower.jpg

@BlueBay its crazy....at Coles there were other shelves that were empty...,I grabbed the last Coles aluminium foil and there was no cling wrap there

no rice no tissues no baby wipes

no Coles lactose free milk but I found something else dairy free never bought that one before cost $4 off the shelf

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

It's really crazy @jamesle2015 

I'm trying to not stress so much. 
ive woken up with a headache and sore throat. I had the sore throat twice a few weeks ago. Hope it isn't this virus. 

I can feel my anxiety rising. I went up the shops today and there were just too many people in the supermarket. Coles and Woolworths have stopped their online stores now which I used to help with my anxiety so I wouldn't have panic attacks in the middle of shopping.

I'm not worried about isolating, I isolate myself all ready. I am worried that I am not prepared with my family here because my anxiety is stopping me from leaving my house and getting prepared.

s-jay
Senior Contributor

Hi @Snowie, really glad you were able to express how this all is affecting you personally... Being forced out to the shops when you normally have a work around must be pretty confronting, especially in the current climate. I noticed there are some mutual aid groups popping up for local areas on facebook...Not sure if this is something you could look into...

What are some of the other tactics you use when you have to go out into spaces that make you feel anxious?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance